Skip to content
Udate: Still more tests to run.
Lovelyhzleyes posted:
My neurologist got my MRI results back and still wants to run more tests. My MRI results findings were ... Multiple punctate non-enhancing white matter foci primarily in the frontal lobes raises differential of migraine vasculitis and MS, although less typical in appearance. Could this possibly mean that my first neurologist was wrong by saying she couldn't figure out whether I was experiencing stroke or MS symptoms? If this is only a migraine, then how can this possibly relate all of the symptoms I have been having for years? I'm very confused, but still have some more tests to run in hopes to find an answer. Can anyone help me understand this?

~ Tanya ~

hackwriter responded:
Dear Tanya,

Your first neurologist wasn't wrong by acknowledging two of several differential diagnoses. Temporal lobe lesions can be caused by stroke, MS, migraine, and a list of other things, and that's why she needs to run more tests. You might indeed suffer from migraines, and you might also have MS, or you might have had a cerebral vascular accident, or you might possibly have suffered all three, for example. An MS diagnosis is a process of elimination; when it can't be anything else but MS, you'll be given the diagnosis. And to muddy the waters further, many MS patients have a history of migraines, I certainly did. What made things a bit simpler for me was that I had no brain lesions at all on my first set of MRIs, so that ruled out stroke and migraine right from the get-go.

Testing and retesting over time will make things clearer to a doctor. Seeing the presence of new lesions on the second or third or fourth series of MRIs is one clue. A lumbar puncture positive for o-bands along with abnormal evoked potential tests and a worsening of neurological symptoms over time helps a doctor narrow it down further.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.