Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tying to get my doc to do anything
hrhoades posted:
I have had the following symptoms for the last few years periodically but since last fall they have been persistent and have increased in severity. I am struggling every day now. I have been to my doc, who I like, but he is reluctant to say it is anything but stress, anxiety and so on. I will not take any meds (former dependency issue) so I frequently get the "try this and come back if it doesn't help". I'm going in next week for a physical and going to push for a referral.

Persistent daily pain. Minimal in the morning but increases as the day goes on. Activity like lifting at work or home aggravates it.

Sharp pain in my spine between shoulder blades.
Tearing/Pinching sensations in my back, shoulder, clavicle, biceps, forearms.
Joints on left side feel sore and or swollen (stabbing in joints) almost continuously (hard to pull in the clutch on my bike when my hand flares up)
I lose dexterity often in my left arm/hand and have this disconnected feeling.
fingertips go numb or pin pricks.

I have recently had a blood panel done, nothing out of the ordinary. I take no meds (not even aspirin) because of my drug problem years ago.

I eat gluten free so my diet is mostly veggies, rice, non processed meats (at least try to avoid), dairy and fruits.

I am not anxious about the pain anymore, but its daily now and I am exhausted. A glass of wine helps a great deal but too much and the next day I feel like I'm being torn apart.

any suggestions on how to convince my doc (and HMO who keeps canceling referrals to physical therapy) to make the next move?

I suffered two pretty sever back injuries in the past which this pain seems to be originating from.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
~H

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.