Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to Site have Questions about MS
Pocahontas808080 posted:
First off I hope that I have done this correctly (lol) I am dealing with some health issues first let me tel you I suffer with fibroyalgia and my doctor who told me I had this also checked me out with things and said not to rule out ms. I have been falling a lot recently I guess you could say losing my balance and also when I type or text I notice my had jumps like when I go to try and type I am having trouble remembeing things I was just wondering if any of these could be a start of ms? If anyone could give me any advice and if you think I have enough signs to be here would you please let me know? Thanks so much.

hackwriter responded:
Dear Pocahontas,

The only way to determine whether you have MS is to have brain and spine MRIs, a lumbar puncture, clinical exams to test your coordination, strength, balance, and reflexes; track your history of symptoms, and undergo evoked potentials tests to measure the speed of electrical impulses from your eyes and ears to the brain.

Fibromyalgia does not cause demyelinating lesions in the brain and spine, it is not a progressive, nerve-damaging disease of the Central Nervous System. Multiple Sclerosis does and is all of those things. Fibromyalgia is a connective tissue disease that is diagnosed and treated by a rheumatologist. Multiple Sclerosis is diagnosed and treated only by a neurologist.

The symptoms you describe are shared by many medical conditions including, but not limited to, Fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis. That's why you need to have all the tests described above.

A significant number of people are diagnosed with Fibro first, then go on to get an MS diagnosis. If you think you might have MS, you must see a neurologist for a clinical exam and MRIs.

Hope this helps.

Kim

swampster1952 responded:
Hello Poca,

Kim gave you the straight scoop on what to sue if you suspect MS. Try and find a neuro that specializes in treating people with MS.

Dave

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.