Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctors checking into me possibly having MS.
rettsblum posted:
Hello every one. I'm Loretta,
My Neuroligist found these white leasions, I guess she called them on my brain. Also she said I have so many of the symptoms she would be hard pressed if I didn't have MS. I alredy have APS. So my white blood cell count is high. She didn't do a blood test, she did get an MRI. But next wednesday she wants to do a lumbar puncture. I am terrifed! Have any of you had one? If so was it horriable? What are some of things that may happen to me?
I wish for any input any of you could give me.

hackwriter responded:
Hello retts,

An LP should not be painful at all. Some patients might get a headache afterwards if there is fluid leakage, but this is relieved by lying flat for a few hours and/or the doctor might apply a blood patch to seal the leak. I've had six LPs and the most successful ones were done in Radiology or with an experienced professional. I never had a headache or any other complications afterwards.

If by APS you mean an autoimmune disorder called Antiphospholipid Syndrome that makes our bodies attack certain components in the blood, my first concern is that the inflammation that condition is causing might skew your LP results.

Try not to worry about the LP, it should go well for you. And do let us know the results of your test.

Kim

rettsblum replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks so much Kim. I do have APS, sorry my typing is terrable and my spelling is worse! lol So, please bear with me. What I don't understand is why my neurologist didn't get a blood test done first. She is the one that will preform my LP in her office. Is that risky? Should I be concerned? She did say that if she can't hit my spine, then I will have to go to the hospital to have it done. She said that they do not numb the area before the LP.

If I am diagnosed with MS, what are some of the changes my body will go threw with this? I have: weakness in my left side, vision pain, blurred vision, tingling in my hands at times and my feet, major shock sensations when I move my neck, definate lack of cordination...I have to walk with a walker now, I have the dizziness and fatigue. With having APS I didn't think much of these new symptions. My doctor said with my leasons being so prominate she doesn't want to let things go.

I'm scared that things will get worse for me. I have so many health issues already. I just can't immagaine what to expect next.

Loretta

hackwriter replied to rettsblum's response:
Loretta,

It's not unusual for a neuro to perform an LP in his/her office, my own neuro did one for me and he did a flawless job. No anesthetic is necessary for an LP. And yes, if the doc can't access the spinal canal, you'll be scheduled to have it done in Radiology under fluoroscopy, which is an ideal situation to do an LP, you'd be lying under a kind of x-ray machine that lets the doctor see the needle as it goes into the proper space in the canal. You won't fee a thing.

If you have MS, it is impossible to predict your disease course and what symptoms/disabilities you'll experience. The symptoms you have right now might worsen during a flare, or you might experience new ones. And once you go back into remission, you might go back to baseline, or you might sustain further disability, there's just no way to know beforehand what will happen. We usually get treated with steroids during a flare, it will quiet nerve inflammation and can help us recover more quickly.

But take heart, you will be okay, and you will learn how to manage those flares and learn which medications will help ease your permanent symptoms.

Please do come back to the forum with any questions or concerns. Keep asking questions of the old-timers like me, that's how we learn the language of our disease. And do as much research as you can about MS and its therapies. An informed patient can take better charge of her life and feel less helpless during her journey.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.