Skip to content
MS & Psoriasis
ConcernedAunt posted:
I have a niece who has MS and experiences back muscle spasms in her legs. She also has psoriasis, covering most of her body. The doc wants to put in a baclofen pump in her brain to help relieve the spasms. Her MS is in remission at the moment but is told if they put this pump in her brain they would not be able to do MRIs to see if her MS comes back. They would have to remove the pump. Also, she is worried about psoriasis developing on her brain?? Has anyone has these two problems together and had the pump put in? The doc says he has other ways to see if the MS comes back but MRI Is the best way???

hackwriter responded:
Dear Concerned,

A baclofen pump is installed alongside the spine where a catheter is threaded into the spinal canal and the drug can flow directly into the spinal fluid. The unit itself will protrude slightly and look like a bump on the side of the waist.

Psoriasis is a skin disorder and can affect the scalp, arms, legs, chest, and genitals. It does not directly affect internal organs.

People with a baclofen pump avoid having MRIs because the MRI magnets will temporarily stop the pump motor from operating. The MRI imaging itself might become distorted as well, so other scanning methods might be used, though not as effectively.

Kim

ConcernedAunt replied to hackwriter's response:
Her doctor is saying they will have to put the pump on her brain because they can't go thru the back/waist because her psoriasis is so bad. The catheter would then have to run from there down to the spinal canal and into the spinal fluid. Thus, she is worried about it being so close to her brain too. Although I do know of people that have shunts that have catheters run from the brain to the stomach to drain excess brain fluid.

hackwriter replied to ConcernedAunt's response:
That sounds very unorthodox. Has she thought about getting a second opinion? I can't imagine how an intrathecal pump could be implanted in the skull, let alone the brain, not to mention the risks involved. Do you know if the pump is a Medtronic brand? You might find out what brand pump the doc wants to use and then contact the company and ask about the protocols. Not all docs who perform these pump implants are qualified to do it.

I hope she doesn't agree to this surgery without getting another opinion and doing some research. If she is having doubts, she should get her concerns addressed.

Kim

ConcernedAunt replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you, You have been very helpful. I am passing all your info on to her. A second opinion is a must. I also think she should ask if there is a support group of patients that have had this done and how they feel about it. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.