Skip to content
Spinal Tap
caregiver41 posted:
Having a positive LB puncture does it mean you have MS ? I was diagnosed in 2001 with MS, I have shown NO signs of MS. Have had muscle weakness in left leg, having other problems Neurologist saw what Looked like MS was MS NOW everything is MS. Two neurologist have said I have degenerated disc disease but now it's a disagreement and I'm in the middle.

Need help Greg

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Greg

It is more than possible to have both. My sister was dignosed after an MRI that was done to check the extent of her disc disease.

I do not know if about the positive lumbar but , it used to be seen as the final test but now a lot of neuro's will not make a diganosis based solely on that. The look for lesions on MRI's as well or a neuro work up that indicates a neurological problem.

I cann't tell you if you have one or the other or both but a second opinion on the MS may not be out of order and if anything can be done to help with your back problem you should check them out as well as the will likely get worse.

Rory

hackwriter responded:
Hi, Greg,

A positive lumbar puncture indicates inflammation in the central nervous system, and is a strong indication of MS. Other conditions can cause a positive result, too, but a diagnosis is made in combination with other tests.

I have both a disc problem and MS; as Rory said, we can have both, and I will add that my herniated neck disc caused some confusion early on since that can also cause a lesion to appear on an MRI.

An MS diagnosis is made after doing a number of tests that include brain and spine MRIs; evoked potentials; a neurologic exam that tests your strength, coordination, balance, reflexes, and sensation; and a lumbar puncture.

My own diagnosis was made after I had a positive lumbar puncture, that's what clinched mine after five years and having all the other tests that eventually had positive results as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim

caregiver41 replied to hackwriter's response:
Was diagnosed with disc problems in 2001, have had neck and lower lumbar back problems for years. An MS diagnosis is made after doing a number of tests that include brain and spine MRIs; evoked potentials; a neurologic exam that tests your strength, coordination, balance, reflexes, and sensation; and a lumbar puncture. Never had a evoked potential done, reflexes are good, strength is still good not what it was when I was lifting. Balance is not so good but left leg doesn't work very well but that happen from lifting. Was told I have the JC virus. Have taken MS drug they don't work. Have done lots of research on MS, stress now has shown it can show signs of MS. Doctors need to do a complete history, have dealt with a lot of losses including 4 daughters, but know where is that listed in my medical records. I'm tired of fighting with doctors. Told my last doctor if he can show me that I have MS I can handle that not this is what it looks like,but what it is.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.