Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help, not sure what to do.
ctowers19 posted:
Hello, I am very worried for my girlfriend. for the past half a year she has been having some ms symptoms here are the symptoms
nystagmus but it went away
tingling or a sensation that her arms and legs are falling asleep, and weakness in her arms and legs
she had MRI, bloodwork, come out normal and the evoke potential was inconclusive, they really dont know what it could be and im really worried that im going to loose her. has anybody had something like this ? they are thinking of sending her to UAB for testing. she has to do another mri on monday and maybe a spinal tap and i really dont know what to do at this point

hackwriter responded:
Dear ctowers,

Having such symptoms without knowing the cause is one of the most stressful events a person can face. Your girlfriend's symptoms could be caused by a number of different conditions, and it sounds as though her doctors are working hard to pinpoint the cause. Waiting and worrying are unavoidable, and I'm sorry the two of you have to go through this.

The best thing you can do right now is to be supportive and sympathetic, and encourage her to go on with her daily activities as best she can. Do things together that you enjoy. Accompany her to doctor appointments if you can, perhaps contribute to discussions about symptoms you've seen if that's appropriate, and ask questions about test results.

And you've already done one important thing by coming here to a health forum for support and information. I hope your girlfriend doesn't have MS, but if she does, there are lots of resources here and elsewhere on the internet that provide information and emotional support.

Please do update us on her test results, and feel free to write about your concerns.

Kim

ctowers19 replied to hackwriter's response:
thank you so much for the reply, she is getting a MRI on her neck on monday , what other things could it be other than MS?
her doctors are confused and they are not sure what it is because all the test keep coming back normal... i feel a little better but i dont know if i will be able to make it if it turns bad

hackwriter replied to ctowers19's response:
Dear ctowers19,

Try not to get ahead of yourself about this. If it is MS, know that it is a very manageable disease and most of us live quality lives. I've had it since 1999, I was able to work for ten more years after that, and 14 years later I only need a cane to walk.

Your girlfriend's doctors are only at the beginning of testing, there will be more to come. Normal test results are valuable, they can rule out some of the possibilities and/or serve as a baseline for tests that might be repeated in the future. In my case, I didn't get the diagnosis until six years after my first attack. It took that long for me to test positive on enough of the tests--repeat brain and spine MRIs, LPs, evoked potentials, etc.--along with having another attack.

No matter what happens, you'll handle it.

Kim

ctowers19 replied to hackwriter's response:
She had her MRI today and has been feeling better, we got a call from the doctor to find out that she had large amounts of arsenic in her urine so we hope that what is causing everything Thanks for your help

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.