Skip to content
RE: Question for Hackwriter
Lisasnyc posted:
I recently switched from Avonex to Rebif -as I mentioned in an earlier post- with no adverse effects so far.

Main reason for this post....
Hackwriter, has there been any instances of the amount of lesions being reduced/reversed from originally seen on MRI, not due to myelin regeneration, if any?

I say a discussion on video of 2 doctors on a panel discussing Tysabri and the JCV virus. I though I heard them say something alluding to this, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,Lisasnyc

hackwriter responded:
Dear Lisasnyc,

If you're asking whether a disease-modifying drug such as Tysabri can make existing lesions disappear--I've not read anything that makes this claim. Our DMDs are not designed to heal the scars, they are designed to either modify/suppress the immune system and thereby reduce the number of relapses/new lesions, or to introduce molecules that attach themselves to T-cells and "de-fang" them before they attack a myelin protein.

Hope this addresses your question.

Kim

Lisasnyc replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks Kim.

The doctors were discussing that some patients who are positive for the JCV virus, may still be able to take Tysabri

The statement that I thought was I heard was that after years on Tysabri, a patient showed a reduction of number of lesions on their follow-up MRI.

I guess I must of heard wrong because I know you would have indicated if you heard this as well.

Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.