Skip to content
scarsner posted:
I am having some problems working. The memory is giving me problems and my knees and back are always hurting. Is there a program that I can apply for to stay home and focus on taking care of myself? Can I get disability? Help!!
hackwriter responded:
Hi scar,

You can indeed file a claim for Social Security Disability Income. Just visit the site for info and an application. You'll need to have your neurologist write an evaluation, that will carry a lot of weight in the final decision.

After you file a claim, you'll be contacted by a rep for a phone interview. They will compile your medical records. Those will be sent on to a state examiner and you'll be scheduled for a physical exam by a doctor of their choice, as well as a psych exam by a professional of their choosing.

Although you've probably heard that everyone's claim is turned down the first time, it's not true. My claim was approved five months after I filed and I did not need to hire an attorney.

Hope this info helps you.


Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.