Skip to content
New Therapies
Lisasnyc posted:
Has anyone started on the newer therapies as of yet ? And how are you doing?

I am just wondering....I needed a stronger therapy per my neuro, but chose Rebif because I am positive for the JCV virus and as a result did not wish to take Tysabri.

I see that Tecifidera (forgive me for the incorrect spelling) and BG-12 have been approved. With Gilenya, I think that brings us to 3 newer therapies.

2katies responded:
I research all I can online and tend to rely on pt forums for info a lot. I assume that much info is biased so the check more sites visited is better. "This is MS" forum has wonderful info from all sources and they offer more resources than many. Many Drs are there as well. For MS, I learned to take nothing read or said for granted.

For me, diet and exercise has the greatest and safest results. They are by no means easy to maintain, and I do struggle, but my MS allows that as my treatments. Please research and know the most you can. MS drugs are very questionable.

I truly wish you the best.

hackwriter replied to 2katies's response:
Dear 2katies,

I started Tecfidera two weeks ago and I've only experienced a slight prickly feeling. This drug demonstrated the best safety profile and tolerability, that's why I chose it.

Gilenya and Aubagio, the other two oral therapies, come with the risk of liver toxicity and various other possible organ problems.

Diet and exercise are great for keeping us healthy and strong; exercise will help fight muscle tissue loss and possibly keep us on our feet and out of a wheelchair longer.

For up to date info and personal stories, see the www.multiplesclerosis.com site, as well as their Facebook page.

Kim

hackwriter replied to hackwriter's response:
I meant to address my response to lisasnyc, too

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.