Skip to content
DO I HAVE MS?
ianborrows posted:
I am a 47 year old male newby to this MS community board and have a question. I am disabled, diagnosed with chronic hydrocephalus accompanied by nerves very sensitive to touch. I am prone to muscle spasms and "episodes" which if you did not know any better, you would think I was having seizures. These have been categorically ruled out. I was fitted with a shunt which was ultimately clamped off. Over past months, I have been experiencing an increase in symptoms, both in number and frequency. Arm and leg numbness and weakness, increased lethargy, lack of drive and enthusiasm, mobility issues, gait issues. Headaches which I know are not normal headaches and do not respond to pain medicine. Temporary loss of sensation in arms and hands and finally to top it off, I have periodic episodes where it would appear I have lost consciousness. I become unresponsive, I am unable to talk or move, however, I am able to hear everything but am unable to respond. This, for the most part relieves itself and can ease as quickly as it came. The loss of speech, however, can last a number of hours. Looking over the list of I believe, 7 symptoms of MS, I experience 6 of those 7. Although I was originally diagnosed with hydrocephalus, I was trying to ascertain whether the two conditions can either run concurrently or as in my case, the MS is possibly being hidden by the hydrocephalus and even though in my last spinal tap in 2009, no MS was detected, The question I would then have to ask is if you were not looking for it, would you still find it? I have had enough CT's but isn't MS detected via MRI's? I am not trying to make my symptoms fit an illness here, I am just trying to make sure as much as I can, that something is not being missed. Any suggestions?

hackwriter responded:
Dear ian,

I hesitate to comment on the symptoms you've experienced since there is no typical case of MS. Those unresponsive lapses don't really jive with what most people report early on, and MS symptoms such as weakness/numbness usually present on only one side of the body at first, not bilaterally. But that doesn't mean they couldn't.

Diagnostic testing for MS would include brain and spine MRIs that look for demyelinating lesions in the white matter, evoked potentials, a lumbar puncture, and a series of neurologic exams that test your coordination, strength, balance and sensation.

Many of the symptoms of MS you read about are shared by other medical conditions. Even when a doc suspects MS, a number of tests are done to rule out mimicking diseases such as Lyme, diabetes, stroke, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

If you want to pursue this you'd have to see a neurologist for a work-up. I hope you find some answers soon.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.