Skip to content
polymyositis or MS?
An_253731 posted:
was diagnosed with poly at mayo clinic last may. i have all the symptoms of MS only test not performed was a spinal tap. i am on 50 mg. prdnisone and 100 imuran. have beenbruising badly, bleeding (skin) since i have been o iumuran. going to see a neurologist at marshfield wi next month. rheumatologists cant seem to agree on ,line of treatment. can mypositis be mistaken for ms? I KNOW how I feel, what is happenig to me, etc. thanks.... are sponal taps THE best way to diagnose ms? I have had emgs, mris, labs every week. my seds are elevated, cks in the 2500 area, adolase is streaming out of my muscles.... help!

hackwriter responded:
From what I've read, your condition could certainly be caused or occur in tandem with other autoimmune disorders--but probably not MS. Your type of condition attacks the muscles/connective/organ tissues, so it would be more closely related to an autoimmune disorder such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Multiple Sclerosis only attacks the myelin coating of the nerves in the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves.

A sed rate blood test will not show signs of MS. A lumbar puncture, on the other hand, checks the spinal fluid for inflammation, but inflammation should not be present in the blood serum. Inflammation that is only in the spinal fluid means the source is contained within the central nervous system and could be caused by MS, stroke, brain infections, etc.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.