Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LOST CONTROL OF LEGS/IN PAIN
shirl1642 posted:
I LOST CONTROL OF BOTH LEGS. CAN'T WALK. WHAT CAN I DO? I HAVE MS

hackwriter responded:
Dear shirl1642,

I'm so sorry, shirl, did this happen recently, as the result of a flare? I'm assuming you've seen your neurologist and s/he has recommended physical therapy and walking aids/scooter. It's important to work those leg muscles, to maintain circulation and keep the muscle tissue from wasting.

Kim

shirl1642 replied to hackwriter's response:
WENT TO DOCTORS TODAY. MY RIGHT LEG IS STILL WEAK, BUT MY RIGHT LEG HAS NOT COME BACK MUCH. I'M TRYING TO WORK MY LEGS UP AND DOWN, AND TRYING TO PULL THEM. MY HUSBAND IS HELPING ME. I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND MY DOCTOR. SHE SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE A PINCH NERVE. I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN. I WAS SITTING OUT ON MY PORCH AND WAS FEELING GOOD. I GOT UP AND WENT IN HOUSE, AND WHEN I GOT IN HOUSE, THERE WAS PAINS ALL THREW MY BODY, AND I COULD NOT MOVE MY LEGS. I WAS PARALIZED THAT QUICK. I CALLED THE MS DOCTOR SHE SAID TAKE A ADVIL OR ALVEE. MY HUSBAND HELP ME IN TO BED. I'M SO PUZZELED ABOUT MS. THE MUSCLES IN BACK OF MY LEGS ARE SORE.

engineerguy replied to shirl1642's response:
Hi Shirl,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. Could you review the information in the post Nov 5 "Dr. Swank ... " ?

Of course, HackWriter's suggestions are very important also.

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

jc3737 responded:
Hi EG,Would you post a write-up by Dr Furhman that discusses how his diet can benefit MS.Thanks.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi Shirl,
Hi jc,

Shirl, you have an immediate issue and need for help. Perhaps my suggestion of a diet, does not seem what you need at this moment. Please follow your physician's advice and Hackwriter's advice. But also please review Dr. Greger's video, posted Nov 5.

Case histories from www.diseaseproof.com , Laurie had MS

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/success-stories-interview-with-a-nutritarian-laurie.html

Elisa had a variety of autoimmune diseases

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/success-stories-interview-with-a-nutritarian-elisa.html

You might be pointing out that you have MS, and are not directly interested in results of others who overcome lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and other autoimmune diseases. You might point out that you need a therapy for MS, not another disease. I would humbly submit that your doctor treats MS and nearly all autoimmune diseases with a very similar toolbox of medications, such as Prednisone and Methotrexate. Perhaps one diet might also be helpful for autoimmune diseases.

Dr. Fuhrman has had excellent success improving autoimmune disease with his patients, and with thousands who have read his books. Many patients report complete recovery. Dr. Fuhrman has said that his MS patients are "doing quite well." I

Our instincts, designed over thousands of years, are designed to help us eat all available food, to avoid starvation. However, today our Standard American Diet (SAD) provides nearly infinite calories. Our natural satiety signals are overwhelmed by foods designed to be as scrumptious as possible, with unnatural levels of sugar, fat and salt. Our food today has much fewer phytochemicals and antioxidants, which our body needs to repair and regenerate. This high calorie, low nutrient environment is a very unnatural situation for our body, which promotes overweight, inflammation, poor circulation, etc. How our body responds to this situation, varies widely, from person to person.

The body is a miraculous self healing machine. We can help ourselves attain that miraculous vibrant health, by removing harmful things, and maximizing healthful things. Many of us who are struggling to regain health, have to be quite diligent in our diet. Also, of course, get plenty of sleep, avoid too much stress, exercise, etc.

MS folks ought to be certain to have their blood vitamin D levels checked. Normal is 35 to 55. This actually applies to everyone.

There is evidence that MS may be affected by salt in the diet. Eat lots of vegetables, and the necessary salt in our diet will be received there. (By the way, where do we get iodine, if we cut out added salt? Recall that salt has added iodine. Note also that sea salt is also inadequate in iodine. If we cut out salt, and we should, we should take a multi with iodine. Or we could take kelp supplements, but then we can get too much iodine, if we are not careful. But I digress.)

I would like to post some good studies with MS patients, showing the benefit of diet. Well, we have to sit tight until April when Dr. McDougall publishes his study, which is a randomized controlled study.

I recommend you read Dr. Fuhrman's books Eat To Live (2011), The End of Diabetes, and others. Also, browse his websites www.diseaseproof.com and www.drfuhrman.com .

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.