Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what's wrong with me
medmistry posted:
I have been sick since January 2013 symptoms galore but after a positive lyme and co infection test I underwent treatment for several months with improvements I am still sick and not one dr I've seen can figure me out all blood work comes back good other than a reoccurring problem with vitamin d being low ....my symptoms now are muscle spasms all over severe fatigue and soreness sharp stabbing pains in my head few other symptoms that come and go .......can you please help I want my life back and feel I'm getting worse all the time some days I feel I'm just slowly dying
Thanks
Amanda

hackwriter responded:
Hi medmistry,

I've attached an article below addressing your issues. What might have happened to you is that you were, at one time, bitten by a tick that carried the Borrelia bacterium, which is what causes Lyme disease.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/do-i-have-ms/other-conditions-your-doctor-needs-to-rule-out/lyme-disease/index.aspx

When you were tested for MS, you had the abnormal MRIs, evoked potentials, and spinal fluid positive for o-bands. But it is possible that the Borrelia antibodies did not appear in your spinal fluid.

This could mean that the Lyme infection did not cause your neurological symptoms, you happened to also develop Multiple Sclerosis, and it is the MS alone that is responsible for your problems. Lyme can, however, remain unsymptomatic and then cause symptoms down the road. But Lyme might have little to do with what is happening to you now.

This is a tricky situation and it's no wonder your docs are stumped.

If you continue to suffer with symptoms that are interfering with your quality of life, I'd suggest that you discuss this with your neuro and review your medications, if you haven't already. Your disease-modifying therapy and your symptom meds.

Those stabbing head pains sound like trigeminal neuralgia, there are medications for that. Your spasms can be treated with muscle relaxers.

Fatigue is a hard one to treat, the most common meds are Provigil, Nuvigil, and amantadine. But fatigue can also be the result of poor sleep. If you wake every night to empty your bladder, or you are wakened by muscle spasms or pain, then you might not be getting enough sleep and will be more fatigued during the day.

Discussing these things with your neuro can help you to pinpoint the cause and the best solution.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.