Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ms
otensia posted:
Hi all! Hope everyone is doing okay? I just have a question, but before I ask ,my doc are pretty sure I have MS just waiting to do my last mri, but it seems I have more numbness/ tingling on my right side than left not sure if anyone else has this? But my question is I seem to have times when my right arm swells up (more at my elbow) and my arm hurts so bad and the numbness / tingling gets worst, has anyone else had this happen and if so what did you do to help with the swelling and pain? Thank you so much for your time..

hackwriter responded:
Hi otensia,

Sorry to hear that you might be joining the ranks of MSers.

It is most common for us to experience MS symptoms on one side of the body, especially early on. My own symptoms affected me exclusively on the left side until a few years ago, and I've had MS for 15 years.

Try a heating pad on that arm when the pain kicks up. If heat helps, then it's likely muscle spasticity. I have this happen quite often and a heating pad works for me. Icing is an option, too. You might try taking an NSAID such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen as well. If those don't help, it could be neuropathic pain and there are prescription meds for that such as Lyrica and gabapentin.

Definitely tell your doctor about these symptoms so s/he can help you determine the best course of treatment. It could have a cause that is not MS-related, too.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.