Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it time for a transition? Too What??
An_254857 posted:
Basics are, spouse was diagnosed in early 90's and went through all the stages (Relapsing/Remitting, etc) now we are just progressive with PCP and Neuro position of Palliative Care (nothing else we can do but keep her as comfortable as possible). I've done it all over the past 6-7 yrs., PrimaryCargiver, Performed Straight Cath multiple times/day until indwelling there is no orifice or bodily flood solid or otherwise that have not dealt with and cleaned up after at any hour of the day and night imaginable. Memory is very bad and higher cognitive abilities result in less than good decisions. It's gotten to the point I never thought it would be and that's me or her. Even with spending ridiculouis sums on agencies to send people to cook, clean, errands, drive to the tune of over $20K a year still keeps me from being productive on a demanding and sometimes travel related job. This caregiver is beyond recharging his battery. When a young (45+) MS patient condition has progressed to the point where they can no longer be taken care of from an in-home setting. What do you do?? Put them in a nursing home with 60, 70 and 80+ individuals. Since MS doesn't take everthything away from you all at once, just a little bit every day the person could actually appear functional on a certain level. So where is this transition place, this quasi Assisted/Nursing Home were people are not necessarily waiting to die but need more care than they can get in the home are still relatively young? Please help because I go nothing left to give.

the_ms_mistress responded:
I just logged on to this page and I see that you haven't gotten any responses. First let me begin by saying I am so sorry for what you and your wife are going through. Where are you located? Maybe I can assist you in finding some assisted living facilities in your area. Again I can't imagine how hard this is for you.

mrscrg responded:
I am definitely sorry that you all are going thru this. I am 31 dx'd 9yrs ago and was just told I am Secondary Progressive. It is much on my husband and I so I think I can understand how you guys feel. I think of my future of what can possibly be waiting for us. My faith in God is what keeps me going and positive.

I too at times feel that I have nothing left. But when I think about it what else is there to do but hold on. The next day, or hour, or minute may change. What I can say is do what you have to for herand continue to give her the best care you can give. Even if that means giving her around the clock care. I know it can be expensive. Recently I have asked for volunteers at my church to come and assist me. Maybe you can ask for volunteers to come and help. Don't give up she needs you not just phydically but emotionally. I know you can be her rock you've done it for years. Make sure you talk with someone about your feelings. Will think about you guys and keep you in my prayers.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.