Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extreme neck pain
An_255702 posted:
I need some input I was diagnosed in 2011 my symptoms at the time was loss of sight in right eye extreme neck tightness and pain and constant headaches 3 years down and I still suffer from same symptoms and neurologist says he is not thinking M.S symptoms which I don't understand since these are the things that led me to the MRI that shows multiple lesions and spinal tap that showed M.S has anyone else experienced this pain with their neck? and any suggestions of a doctor that could help me if the neurologist can not?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

libra33 responded:
My neurologist has said the same thing and it's all crap. We have lesions and many many symptoms but they don't want to say it's m.s. I have extreme pain in my neck and I either have icy hot on it or an ice pack at all times. My rheumatologist prescribes me flexural and my neurologist prescribes 900 mg of Gabapentin for it and other inexplicable pains I have. so I'd say try talking to your primary care physician first and or see a rheumatologist if your neurologist isn't willing do do else much. Also get a second opinion have your pcp refer you to a different neurologist. I've heard this is more than common. Hope this helps and good luck.

hackwriter responded:
Are you taking a muscle relaxer? Your extreme neck tightness sounds like muscle spasticity, which is increased muscle tone that can cause cramping and intense pain. It is one of the most common MS symptoms, I have it myself.

I take baclofen for spasticity, there are other meds for it as well. I also use a heating pad and it works well for me.

Having herniated discs in your neck can cause pain, too. If you have spine problems they would have shown up on an MRI. I have that condition as well and I use a heating pad for the neck/arm pain it causes.

Your neuro ought to know all about muscle spasticity and should be testing for that whenever they give you your physical neurologic exam (which should be every time you see them) that tests strength, reflexes, coordination, balance, and sensation. If your neuro doesn't talk to you about tightness in your muscles then something might be amiss. You might want to find another neuro.

Hope this helps.

Kim

swampster1952 responded:
Hello An,

Blunt and to the point: dump your idiot neuro and find another one, preferably one that works exclusively with people with MS.

Remember that we are our own best health advocates so get out there and start pushing around until you get some answers that make sense!

Always looking for trouble I guess,

Dave

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.