Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cure?
An_255863 posted:
Are there any cases of patients that were diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and after several years got cured,i.e, no lesions were observed in an MRI test

swampster1952 responded:
NO!

Dave

hackwriter responded:
I have read some patient's accounts of this happening. It is possible for lesions to disappear, but this isn't common and it doesn't mean the MS is cured. What's more, some enhancing lesions can heal and not leave a scar, either by the body's ability to heal itself or by the benefits of our disease-modifying therapies.

I have heard of scar tissue not showing up on follow-up MRIs. But that could have several causes, one of which could be the fault of the MRI equipment not picking it up on the scan.

What is most important to know about MS is that the body's CNS is under constant attack by our antibodies even when we are not having a recognizable flare. New lesions will eventually appear over time while we are in the inflammatory stage. Black holes will appear when we are in the progressive phase. Once we develop MS, we have it for life.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.