Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
36, Female, MS & Now Swelling & Breath Problems
hand1977 posted:
I am a 36 year old female. For 3 years I have been diagnosed with chronic bursitis and degeneration in both hips. In September 2013, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and am currently taking Tecfidera. Since the beginning of 2014, I was had what I believe to be excessive swelling in my feet, fingers and thighs. I also am having difficulty breathing. For years, I have had difficulty with joint stiffness and movement. I feel like a 36 year old trapped in a 60 year old body. Something is wrong with swelling and joint pain. 6 years ago, I was an avid runner, great shape, active and healthy. Now each day it hurts to move, now the swelling and dealing with the MS. What assistance can you provide with the excessive swelling and where to turn next.

hackwriter responded:
Hi Hand1977,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. If you haven't already, you need to see your doctor about the swelling, pain and breathing problems. Since you have more than one condition, your doctor needs to determine what is causing your symptoms. It could be a combination of things: your various medical conditions and side effects of the medications you are taking. Inactivity itself can cause pain, stiffness, swelling, and trouble breathing. A medications review might be a good idea.

Swelling is not MS-related. I had a problem with swollen ankles and kicked it by staying on my feet more, elevating my feet for at least an hour a day, and taking hydrochlorothiazide, which is a diuretic. I no longer have a swelling problem.

I also have degenerative spine disease and most of my pain comes from that. The best thing I can do for arthritic joints is to stay active. I stretch and take a muscle relaxer for stiffness, too.

Shortness of breath can be caused by inactivity and weak core muscles. Because MS can cause swallowing and breathing problems, I do speech therapy to help strengthen those weak throat and facial muscles, which helps. Singing and doing core exercise will help with breathing, too.

I also take Tecfidera and have only had some minor prickly/flushing issues. You might take a look at a complete list of Tecfidera side effects at the website. You could look up all of your medication side effects as well and discuss these with your doctor for a medication review.

I hope you'll visit your doctor soon and get some relief. Good luck.

Kim

atti_editor responded:
Hi hand1977,

I think that Kim gave some great advice, and I just wanted to add that our Drugs & Medications Center is a good place to go to look up the side effects of your medications, and our Interaction Checker might also be something you find helpful.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.