Skip to content
Facial pain---something new
shernik posted:
Hi,

I wanted to ask the M.S. community about facial pain. Sound familiar? I have MS for 18 years and never had any facial pains like I am having now. I did some research on Web MD and found a discription about facial pain and MS called Trigeminal neuralgia . This sounds kind of like what I may have but am not sure. Has anyone had this before? Was it diagnosed by your Neurologist? How was it treated? I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments concerning this.

Thank you to the community for reading this.

cindygrace1 responded:
hi shernik,
I have had rr ms for 18 yrs, one of my first things was the facial pain, heaviness, almost drooling at times. my tongue felt fat too. I went to a message therapist. it did not take it all away but it did help. sometimes I put a warm, wet washcloth on my face to help, it relaxes the muscles some. well ya still have ms. but trial and airier what works for me might not work for anyone else. good luck!

hackwriter responded:
Hi shernick,

The pain you describe could be trigeminal neuralgia, which is a common MS symptom. Contact your doctor if you haven't already and report your symptoms. S/he will determine what is causing your pain and whether it is TN. Whatever the cause, your doc can recommend meds, etc., to manage the pain.

Hope you make that call soon and get some relief.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.