Skip to content
Optic neuritis symptoms
kitatkat posted:
I have not been diagnosed with MS but my mother, maternal aunt and a few others in my family have. I had a bout of Optic Neuritis(ON) in 2007 that was only diagnosed because I found spots missing in my vision in one eye. After noticing I went to doc and they noticed swelling on the optic nerve. No cause was ever found for the ON but I had the blind spot for a couple years after but it finally went away. Recently I've noticed a blind spot in a new location in the same eye. Visual field test confirms the blind spot is in a different location as well. My question is do blind spots change location after only having the one bout of ON or should I be concerned that this is a new symptom of a possible recurrence of ON?

hackwriter responded:
kitatkat,

That's a good question to ask the doctor that diagnosed your ON the first time. If it is a recurrence, I would think that a neurologist would like to know about it and want to put you through the MS diagnostic testing. Considering your family history and your history of ON, it would be worth doing, if anything, for your own peace of mind.

First thing is to find out if indeed this is a recurrence of ON. Whoever you see--ophthalmologist, neurologist--should give you their two cents' worth on what to do next. If it is ON, then the cause ought to be investigated. And that's my two cents.

Kim

david1951 responded:
It might be a good Idea to consider LHON

http://www.umdf.org/site/c.8qKOJ0MvF7LUG/b.8046977/k.BA93/LHON.htm

Like MS, LHON is rooted in mitochondrial disorders and there is, by far, enough variability in the presentations of inherited forms of mito (in the same family) that your case would not be extraordinary.

David

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.