Skip to content
Help in morning getting ready for work?
gaaslaj posted:
My fiancée teaches at a community college. We do not live together yet, I live in a different town. She's been having difficulty getting out of bed, getting ready for work, and getting into her car. I was wondering if there is a way for her to obtain assistance for those tasks. She does OK with the rest of her day. Thanks, John.

hackwriter responded:
Hi, John,

Your concern for your fiancee is very touching, how fortunate she is to have you join her on this journey. I'm sure you're worried about her morning challenges.

Did her difficulties getting going in the morning start recently? If so, she needs to see her neurologist. If she has the relapsing-remitting form, she might be having a flare and need treatment.

Many of us who still work get up earlier in the morning to leave extra time for showering and dressing. I have a friend who gets up at 5 a.m. to get to her job by 8. We need to make constant adjustments to our daily routine as our disease has its ups and downs. Over time, everything we do becomes more of a challenge.

At some point, if your fiancee finds it more and more difficult to maintain this work routine, she will want to consider filing a claim for Social Security Disability. She might also consider a job she can do from home.

As far as getting her some help, insurance won't pay for that kind of home care service. Perhaps a friend or family member could help her in the morning.

This is a lot to throw at you, sorry about that. It's a window on the challenges an MS patient must face. I wish you both well with your marriage.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.