Skip to content
multiple sclerosis
janet57w posted:
had a negative blood test for MS but am experiencing alot of the symptoms. my sister has MS. should i get further testing...like an MRI ?

hackwriter responded:
Hi Janet,

There is no blood test for MS, perhaps your blood was tested for another condition. Multiple Sclerosis is contained in the Central Nervous System, so evidence of the disease can only be found in the spinal fluid.

Diagnostic testing for includes brain and spine MRIs, evoked potentials testing, a lumbar puncture, and a neurologic exam that tests coordination, sensation, strength, balance, and vision.

If MS is in your family, then your primary care doc ought to be willing to refer you to a neurologist for baseline MS testing. But also be aware that many other conditions mimic the symptoms of MS, and tests will be done for those as part of the investigation.

Please do let us know what you find out.

Kim

janet57w replied to hackwriter's response:
ok, thank you, i will!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.