Skip to content
Repeated multiple sclerosis
hecy1988 posted:
I have a friend.She is 24 years of age, have a 3 years old baby.We live in China.In China there isn't better treatment.Always suffer hormone treatment, and the next is more serious relapse. We have no better way, hope to be able to find new hope in overseas.My English isn't well.Most rely on machine translation.

symptoms:The body touch slowly. Behind the hip and waist hip thigh pain inside. Temperature anomalies. Body has the feeling of needle. Limb dyskinesia, had paralysis, mainland retention, used hormone and c treatment, the doctor diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

The following is a detail of her disease!

At the end of November,2010,due to postpartum lochia has general anesthesia, qing colds a lower body temperature are abnormal, urine refractory and walk slow deliberate steps like the lower extremities. No drug treatment, to give massage to heal.
In June 2012, back pain, especially at night, and then is lame in the left leg, and then was in the hospital diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, nuclear magnetic display chest neck brain have lesions, assay CSF oligoclonal band negative, giving methylprednisolone and hormone treatment and recovery. Late occasionally feel left leg weakness, bosom frowsty, breath.

I hope you can tell us can thoroughly cure. Because of illness, her marriage is on the brink of collapse, feel is the burden of the family. The recurrent almost lost confidence in life.
Thank you very much!

hackwriter responded:
Hi hecy,

I'm sorry about your friend's troubles. We do take methylprednisolone therapy for an attack, but I'm not familiar with what you call hormone treatment.

There is no cure for MS. There are several different treatments we can use in the US, the UK, and the EU. Some are taken by injection, some by infusion, and some are pills. They reduce the number of attacks and slow the progress of the disease. Here is a list:

Copaxone Tysabri
Rebif Gilenya
Avonex Aubagio
Betaseron Tecfidera

I have no idea what is available to you in China.

Having MS is very stressful for the patient and for the families. Sometimes marriages fall apart. Your friend needs understanding, help and support. She needs to rest and eat well. She can have a quality life, but she will have good and bad times with MS.

You can help her by learning about MS. There are numerous sites on the internet for that, including here on WebMD. Other good sites include:

National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Multiple Sclerosis Association of America
Multiple Sclerosis Federation
Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre at: http://www.ms-uk.org/

Wish I could be of more help.

Kim

david1951 replied to hackwriter's response:
Hecy

while there is no cure, there is a very effective treatment that your friend should be able to try.

Low dose diphenhydramine, that's Benadryl here in the states. It is an over the counter drug here and may also be there in China

http://www.ctsaip.org/create-pdf.cfm?id=5893

"Summary
Researchers in Dr. Lawrence Steinman's laboratory at Stanford have developed a new strategy for treating or preventing autoimmune diseases with antihistamines. Using the EAE mouse model for multiple sclerosis (MS), the inventors have shown that the disease course and severity can be ameliorated with daily administration of antihistamine."

Why Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is explained here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006300261904498

and here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0014482760900197

the dose range is 1 mg per 13.6 kg (30 lbs) to 22.6 kg (50 lbs) of body weight at meal times and just before going to bed. A dose within that range can be accomplished with 1/4 of a children's tablet afor a dose of 3.125 mg or 1/4 of an adult tablet for a 6.25 mg dose or a measured amount of the children's liquid for 2.5 mg per ml.

The only contra indication is "sodium channelopathy" (rare) and the symptom is rapidly increasing fatigue over the first 1 to 3 days. If this occurs she should stop the med (should recover in 1 to 2 days) and report the likelihood of a sodium channelopathy to her doctor.

there are alternatives that are not as effective but are also not sodium channel blockers so come back here if that happens.

David

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.