Skip to content
filing a claim for discrimmination
arianna10 posted:
has anyone had to file a claim toward an employer, is it better to have legal rep or do it on our own. At this point I do have legal rep but she is not answering my calls or emails.

any advise welcome
hackwriter responded:
Hi Arianna,

I once looked into that possibility when I was suddenly fired from a job. But the state civil rights people discouraged me. Research tells me that discrimination is very, very hard to prove and most plaintiffs lose their cases. It's also very expensive to sue an institution and can drag on for a couple years. A large entity like a corporation has the money to spend on that, but most employees don't. If the employee loses, s/he must pay court costs on top of legal expenses.

If you're thinking you can get free legal representation, I challenge you to find any civil rights attorney that would take your case pro bono. Most will not because your chances of winning are very low.

My advice is to not file a claim of discrimination at all. The employer can easily make a case that you were incompetent even if you weren't.

Although i understand your desire to push back at them, I think you'll wind up with a broken heart and a busted bank account.

arianna10 replied to hackwriter's response:
I think the same thing, I just needed to hear it. Everyone wants me to file so the school will learn not to walk over people. I have been told by my union that they are even mentioning offering me a settlement. I just want to leave this all behind me.

thanks A

Featuring Experts

Stephanie knows multiple sclerosis as a patient and as a nurse. Stephanie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2013. Shortly after being diagnosed...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.