Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS and or Lyme
ihavelyme2 posted:
I was Dx'd in 2010 with SPMS after having a growing number of symptoms for a couple years. I had an MRI which showed some lesions and was told that I most likely had MS and let's start you on some immunosuppressive drugs, which I refused, luckily. I got worse over a couple years time and searched for my own cures, finding Dr. Wahls. An MD, one of us with MS who has driven back the ravages of MS through diet, exclusion of certain foods, exercise and meditation. Just to know that 1person recovered a good deal of her previous life gave me hope. I tried to follow her protocol for a while and have greatly improved my eating habits which has helped with some symptoms, but it had its recovery limits for me. I have found out through a specialized test that I have the Lyme antibody present which indicates Lyme to a certain population of MD's. Most MD's don't believe the science. If I had taken the MS drugs in 2010 I believe that the Lyme bacteria would have ravaged my system. It's difficult enough to have this disease but to have a medical community at war with itself is troubling. I have to fend off critics who believe that I am just looking for Dr's who agree with me and that instead I should follow mainstream treatment for which there aren't any for SPMS. I am simply looking for the most hopeful of prognosis, and therapies and do it as healthily and cost effectively as possible. Hopeful responses are welcome.

hackwriter responded:
Hi ihavelyme2,

If you are convinced that you have active Lyme, you might consider finding a neurologist who is also highly knowledgeable about Lyme. Since you tested positive for the antibodies, I would think your CSF should be re-tested and tracked over time. There are neurologists who believe that the two are related, and who have given Lyme/MS patients anti-biotic therapy after immuno-suppressive MS therapy failed.

Just a thought.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.