Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS questions
jlowe1 posted:
My daughter is 22 and began having numbness, tingling and pain in her left foot which gradually spread to her entire leg. She has had problems with eyelid spasms, blurry vision that comes and goes, urinary issues (frequent/urgent urination) and digestive problems (severe heartburn and constipation). She has always showed high Auto Immune markers in all her lab test but they ruled out Lupus, RA and Crohns. Once an MRI was finally done last week, they found 2 lesions on the right side of her brain and are now saying it may be MS. She is going in for a Spinal fluid test and another MRI of her brain and spine next week. Is there any other tests I should be asking about? I just don't really know how to go about this one. She has been thru so many tests already.

tysabripete responded:
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. When I was diagnosed 8 years ago the doctor was comfortable with diagnosing it based solely on a brain and spine MRI, my current symptom and an over-reactive knee reflex (evidence of a prior attack that was also seen on my spinal MRI). The doctor basically said any evidence of two or more MS symptoms that are experienced more than thirty days apart and impact different areas of the brain and spinal cord is enough evidence.

I tried to convince my doctor it was Lyme Disease so she also did a spinal tap, not so much to confirm it was MS (she said the MRIs and my symptoms confirmed that). It was more to rule out also having Lyme. The spinal tap ruled out Lyme and re-confirmed the MS diagnosis.

I wouldn't recommend getting a spinal tap if the doctor already has enough to diagnose. It's different for everyone, but in my case the spinal tap left me on my back in intense pain (if I stood up) for a week.

I hope she doesn't have MS and I hope you get answers soon. No two people have the same experience with MS. I'm 8 years in and last week I bike commuted to and from work every day. 338 miles and roughly 4 hours a day. The emotional and cognitive impact to me is difficult to assess, but physically I'm doing great.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.