Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi I'm New
scared4 posted:
Hi Everyone, I'm new on sight & new to the world of good old MS. My
question is the last 2 nights around 4pm my stomach keeps blowing up I go from a size 32 to a size 34 can anyone help with any info?

hackwriter responded:
Hi scared,

Although I'm sorry to have to welcome you aboard the good ship MS, I'm glad you joined our community to seek support.

Okay, so you've got some abdominal distention going on. I've got that condition myself and it isn't MS-related. In my case, it happens after eating a modest-sized meal. My stomach flattens again the next morning, only to swell out again after eating a meal. Passing gas seems to deflate it right away. A bowel movement doesn't seem to have the same quick result, but it helps.

Questions: Are you visibly swelled out, or do you feel a bloated feeling like you're going to burst out of your skin, or both? Do you have gas pains with the swelling? Are you constipated? Does having a bowel movement relieve it?

If your condition is really bothersome, you should see your primary care doc. Google your symptoms for possible causes. The most popular one is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). As for me, I'm going to call my gastroenterologist about my problem. It appeared three years ago when I developed gallbladder disease and didn't go away when i got my gallbladder removed. I tried upping my fiber intake, which is what is recommended for IBS, but it didn't change anything in my case. I am not constipated, by the way, so that's not the problem.

But what is causing mine might not be what is causing yours. It's a good idea to consult a professional.

Hope this helps.

Kim

scared4 replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you for getting back to me, to answer your question it's yes you can see my stomach and I can feel it no pain just very uncomfortable because my pants start getting tight then I have to put sweatpants on. Not a happy camper being I just loss weight a few months back. I have a Dr. Appointment next week. I will get back with results

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.