Skip to content
Starting Tysabri
trustinghim81 posted:
Hi Everyone,
I am starting Tysabri in a couple of weeks and am curious if there are any "tips" or info that the doctors didn't share or things that might be helpful.
I have had MS for almost 13 years and have been on Avonex and most recently Copaxone.

Stephanie

hackwriter responded:
Hi Stephanie,

I took Tysabri for about 18 months. I don't know how your doc has prepared you for the infusions, but I would suggest that you drink plenty of fluids prior to the infusion and take a pain reliever if you are so inclined.

I stopped the infusions mainly because I was a difficult puncture; I have tiny, well-hidden veins and had to endure a couple of hours of unsuccessful punctures each month while they tried to find a good vein. I ended up spending the whole day at the infusion clinic because of it.

Also keep in mind that the nurse will have to ask you questions from a script each time prior to infusing. They involve asking you about changes in your symptoms since your last infusion. If you answer yes to any of those questions--that is, yes there has been a change for the worst--the nurse will send you home without an infusion and tell you to see your neuro before resuming infusions.

That's all I can remember for now. Good luck with your infusions, I hope you'll tolerate the drug well and that it will help you. Please do give us updates about your progress.

Kim

icelander1 responded:
Hi Stephanie,
I was 'on' Tysabri for a bit more than one year. I was an easy patient as I have easily accessible veins.

Prior to your infusion I would recommend you take one acetaminophen, 1 non drowsy OTC allergy pill and be sure to bring something fun to read!

I found the process to be a breeze: whats not to like about a 1 time per month treatment? As I was JC Virus positive, my Neurologist and I chose to switch back to Copaxone.

Good luck with the therapy.
Mark
PS. I was diagnosed 26 years ago.

I

trustinghim81 responded:
Thank you both for the advice. I have had infusions for Steroids before due to a couple of severe flare ups so I know that them finding a vein wont be a problem;) My doctor did warn me about the questions and explained why. However he did not say anything about the pain reliever or water. I will definitely do both of those!
I have already been tested for the JC virus and tested negative and that is why my doctor thought this would be a good option. I pray that it will go well.

I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

Steph

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.