Skip to content
The use of vitamin B 12
bionike posted:
A couple of years ago I read a article in a medical magazine that the protocol for treating a MS flare up in some German treatment facility's is not with cortisone but with large intravenous amounts of methylcobalamin. My daughter and I both have MS and recently she had a flare up and could not go to hospital for treatment due to work commitments, so I bought a bottle of B12 tablets, which you take sublingual. She took 2 every hour finishing the bottle (30 tablets), and managed to stop the flare up. I am not aware of anyone ever having done any research on the relation of malabsorption of B vitamins and MS. If any one knows of such research then I would like to know.

jules1202 responded:
I have not seen any research on this subject directly (obviously I assume there must be some in Germany if that is what they are doing) but there is research on B-12 deficiencies resulting in neurological symptoms so it makes sense to look in that direction. Its part of the reason that usually when a patient comes in with neuro symtoms the dr will usually check vitamin B levels.

I have to say that I am happy that worked for her but I would be very cautious with doing something like taking a whole bottle of vitaimins in a day without the supervision of a dr. Technically B vitamins are water soluable BUT you can still overdose by overloading your system with too many all at once which could lead to some nasty side effects (apparently there is a methylcobalamin form of B-12 and another form also which they say has more issues?!) . Also, there can be a big difference between an IV version under doctor supervison and a sublingual version of a med.

Obviously I am no help on the research part ( I tried but most of what I found was posted by companies that sell vitamins that made reference to the research with no links). If I were you I would look into translated German medical research material or European research as what I saw indicated most of the research was in this are was done overseas. I will keep my eye out though!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.