Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS and Resveratrol
Gracelizabeth posted:
I was diagnosed with SP-MS MS in 2002 at age 56. As there are no drugs available for SP-MS, other than treating individual symptoms, I was never offered anything for the MS itself.

2 1/2 months ago, for overall better health, I started taking a daily capsule containing Trans-Resveratrol 300mg, Quercetin 50mg, and Red Wine Polyphenols 10mg.

About 1 week later, I began to notice I had more energy and felt better overall. From day-to-day, I didn't notice any improvement and yet, at the end of a week, I realized that I'd been able to be more active and my symptoms were less. Six weeks later, I was able to be on my feet for four hours at a time instead of the 10-15 minutes previously. This was the first time since diagnosis that there had been any improvement at all.

Then I ran out as the pills were on backorder. Within 10 days I was back at ground zero. From now on I'll make a point to never run out again. I'm coming back again into a good place to be and am looking forward to going on a holiday I'd been putting off because of how exhausted I was all the time.

Has anyone else tried trans-resveratrol? If so, please share your findings too.

Thanks!

bignona responded:
Hi Gracelizabeth, I too have SPMS I know there is nothing for us. But that sounds great. I'd have to check w/ my neuro, He is my lifeline & so sweet I don't do anything w/out his O.K. I'm on Baclofin & Neurontin & Darvoset as needed. They do help very much. Thanks God Bless Nona Judy

snick440 responded:
Hi

I've never heard of the stuff you mention but if it helps you great! But they do use Copaxone, Novantrone, Tysabri and I've heard of others of us with SPMS who take Avonex so yes there is something that helps. It may not be as effective for those with RRMS but it is used. I would push to try something or find another doctor.

I was on Copaxone and Novantrone. The Novantrone really helped me and I'm SPMS from when I was diagnosed in 2002 at age 48. Some doctors aren't as aggressive or proactive as others so I'd certainly do more on it.

Jane

swampster1952 responded:
Hello Grace,

I am glad you have found something that works for you too! Just because you are SPMS doesn't mean that one of the approved MS wouldn't be of benefit to you. I too am SPMS and I use Tysabri and have been on it for two years and it has been a great help to me.

Dave

Gracelizabeth responded:
Resveratrol is the formal name for the "red wine pill" that has, seemingly, many great virtues. You can read a bit more about it here: www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/17/fyi/main2194876.shtml

To be honest, I'm not sure which of the 3 ingredients is causing me to feel better; I'm just happy to be feeling so much better!

Thanks for the helpful input. It's much appreciated.

Enjoy a great weekend!

playnice01 responded:
I did some fun research on this reservatrol, and found it to be a minute sustance also isolated in some fungi, grapeseed and (Yahoo) red wine! Man it goes from prokarin to pinot noir. I sooooo like the wine idea better. But then, I would, huh?

So pass the cabernet and the brownies. Herbal meds for me before I line some other ponzi schemer's pockets with my hard earned pennies. That way, I can have my whine and wine. don't forget the cheeeeze....

flap

playnice01 responded:
Not to knock it, like they say, if it works, don't try to fix it! Or something like that.

But for me, I'd rather drink a few glasses of red wine and eat some cheese for comfort.

I also remember that there are no FDA regs for OTC or "alternative herbal "supplements, so it is interesting to read your comments that it helps. Go for it.

But, as Nona and Dave and Jane have pointed out, you CAN be treated with one of the CRAB's or even tysabri. I have been on Tysabri about 18 months now, with no icky side effects. And I do have SPMS too.

Since you seem to have a good relationship with your MD, ask about at least trying one of the CRABS. Or Tysabri. Even though I am still symptomatic, (the HUG is my worst issue), the Tysabri has helped. I had my most recent MRI and there were no new brain lesions....so, I go with that for my personal proof.

Good luck and be blessed,

flapkat

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.