Skip to content

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
Air in the Brain
SureshTV posted:
My Uncle aged about 50yrs, met with an accident.(when a petrol tanker backing out without any signal; my uncle travelling in a bike can't see that time he hit back side of the tanker) Immediately rushed into Hospital. In the ICU, second day the doctor said he had air in his brain. Fourth day doctors said air was completely removed. But he got SI Joint dysfunction and pelivs injuries are there. Could you please breif me what was the case about.

lifes responded:
The SI joint or sacroiliac joint, the joint between the sacrum and ilium, is at the back of the hip. The entire hip-pelvic bone at the back is actually 2 pieces, joined about halfway between the spine and side of the body (outer hip). Extensive pelvic injuries could have stretched, pulled, or rotated the pelvis enough to cause SI joint dysfunction (SIJD). The SI joint "helps with stability during the push-off phase of walking" See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint

The bigger problem for now is how severe are the pelvic injuries? Did the injuries affect the urinary bladder or penis? Are bones broken? Are the broken bones stabilized? The answers determine when they can start physical therapy. Do ask if he will have PT while still in bed.

Your uncle may have low back and leg pain from now on. He might not be able to bike ride due to pain. A lot will depend on his healing and future PT.

As to the brain, the air being removed quickly helps but he could maybe still have impairments.

Lifes

SureshTV replied to lifes's response:
First of all Thanks for your detailed and valuable information.
Next time I'll come up with his case statement, so far what treatment was done. Accident was happened on 1-Nov-2012 and still he is in ICU only.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a PA student, graduating in December (I hope). I have a long history as a patient including six unrelated surgeries, and a couple of other hos...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.