Skip to content

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
Changes in hand coordination and ability to think.
Sparky4325 posted:
Hi there,

I'm 27, male, and not currently on any medications. I haven't had any recent radiography or anything like that. I don't have any previous diagnoses.
I've been noticing that for the past year or so that my hands don't quite do what I tell them to when it comes to fine motor control. For instance, I will transpose or skip letters while typing. The problem is very noticeable when playing video games as I have trouble hitting the correct key/button even when I am well familiar with their respective use. I am also beginning to have trouble playing the keyboard or guitar.
I also have slight trouble reaching for things accurately. If I need to open a door my hand will occasionally miss the knob as an example. This is especially apparent if I am not looking directly at what I am trying to grab yet know where the object is placed. Perhaps related to this I will grab the door knob and then walk into the door before I manage to open it.
These things happen enough that I am beginning to think that there may be something going wrong. They are also getting progressively, though slowly, worse.
In addition to this I've noticed that I am having trouble multitasking. If I am concentrating on something it is incredibly hard for me to hear someone talking as an example. This is to the degree that I often do not even register that I was being spoken to. Previously I had no trouble doing something like transcribing while holding a conversation.
When I have to do more than one thing at once I find myself having to repeatedly start the tasks over again as well as forgetting what all it is I need to do. This happens even when I have a relatively short list of simple tasks to accomplish.
I am losing my ability to plan effectively. I am a very organized person but I find myself becoming more and more disorganized in practically all aspects. I can't create and then follow a route anymore; driving around without a map or GPS, or even going grocery shopping often involves a lot of wandering.
Sometimes when I am attempting to concentrate on something, particularly when I need to concentrate hard, I get an intense feeling like I need to move around which in turn makes it harder to concentrate. It is generally only alleviated by doing something else for a moment or moving in place (such as bouncing my foot or tapping my hands, usually at a very rapid pace).
Generally speaking when any of the above happens I become very easily frustrated or mad/grumpy for no reason.
I am pretty sure I had more to mention but honestly I've forgotten what it was. Is this sound like something that comes natural with getting older or do I have something that needs to be checked out? I have very little money so I am hesitant to go to a doctor for what could amount to nothing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a PA student, graduating in December (I hope). I have a long history as a patient including six unrelated surgeries, and a couple of other hos...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.