Skip to content

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
Word-finding problems
missjennifer1966 posted:
Hi. I am a 46-year-old divorced mother of 2 who has anxiety, depression and PTSD. Lately I have found myself having a lot of problem with finding the right words and when I think I have them, they come out completely different. This happens quite a bit (at least half the time). For example, today I was trying to say splash and it came out splosh. I was also trying to say Dipsy and it came out tipsy. Speaking of which, I never have been into doing drugs or drinking so not sure what else could be causing this. Help please. I am starting to get worried.

lifes responded:
Although bothersome, worrisome, and embarrassing, almost everyone over 40 has one or more episode of word blocking and word jumbles. Some common causes include:
menopause for women, beginning up to 7 years before peri-menopause begins
  • andropause for men as their hormones also decrease
  • anxiety or being rushed to speak
  • tension, conflict
  • stress
  • feeling incompetent or inferior
  • chemo-therapy, e.g. "chemo-brain"
  • some medications that depress the CNS, like sedatives, antidepressants, etc.
How to help yourself

• purposely slow down your thoughts before speaking
  • don't allow other people to rush you to answer
  • take a breath before speaking
  • if you cannot think of or say a word that you know but is "stuck", think of a different word, a synonym
  • allow yourself permission to sometimes "talk funny" -- no one really cares or will remember -- accept this temporary quirk about yourself and make light of it
  • "play" with sound-alike words... we all used to "play" with sounds as children... tipsy, lipsy, wispy, dipsy... let your mind have time at home to "play" with different sounds
  • if the mistakes make you feel bad in public, it's okay to say "Ah! I said that wrong-- my tongue got in the way..." People DO understand.
Lastly, do know how your health is overall. Check your blood pressure, pulse, blood sugar... If the word problem gets worse or you have other physical symptoms, see your doctor.

I hope this info gives you some reassurance.

Lifes

missjennifer1966 replied to lifes's response:
Thanks so much for the info!! I know I have high blood pressure, but have not been checked for anything else so other stuff could be going on. Is there a list of things to be checked for a woman my age? I was thinking cholesterol is one, but not sure of others. Thanks again!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 41 year old female and have been out of work since 11/2010 due to my heart and cervical spodlosis, and 4 hernicated disc 2 buldging 1 in my nec...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.