Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
tingling shoulders
An_250310 posted:
have got a tingling on my shoulder and a numbness too. now, i am learning i ought to have seen a doctor, at least five month after it happened. it's been a year and i don't know what to do. i don't know what to do

Take the Poll

bothers me whenever i when from work, i lifted something heavy once, i think that's where i got it. i have got a tingling on my shoulder and a numbness too. now, i am learning i ought to have seen a doctor, at least five month after it happened. it's been a year and
vote
View Poll Results

lifes responded:
See a doctor. You probably hurt your neck or shoulder.

jackolope56 responded:
TOS?

lifes replied to jackolope56's response:
Jackolope58,

Yes, indeed, an injury can cause "TOS", or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. However, both the cervical spine and shoulder need checked since injuries can overlap both areas and can produce nearly identical symptoms.

One differentiating factor in horacic Outlet Syndrome and Shoulder Impingement Syndromes is difficulty raising the arm above shoulder height, or pain results from raising the arm. Manual tests are performed, raising the arm out from the side to above the head... and frontward to above the head. Physician-aided tests (push-pull) can determine presence of muscle weakness, one indicator of dysfunction, as well as testing reflexes (at elbow, wrist). MRI can show horacic Outlet Syndrome and/or Impingement Syndrome.

Physical Therapy is often the first conservative method tried along with ice, heat, exercises, and medication.

Surgery may be indicated, especially if nerves or blood vessels are caught, e.g. Entrapment.

Only a physician or orthopedic surgeon can distinguish between the various types of cervical and shoulder injuries and syndromes.

Lifes

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 59 yr oldd caucasian male who was first diagnosed with diabetes in 1990.Diabetes and it's manifestations have led to being in a nursing ho...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.