Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
    tingling shoulders
    An_250310 posted:
    have got a tingling on my shoulder and a numbness too. now, i am learning i ought to have seen a doctor, at least five month after it happened. it's been a year and i don't know what to do. i don't know what to do

Take the Poll

bothers me whenever i when from work, i lifted something heavy once, i think that's where i got it. i have got a tingling on my shoulder and a numbness too. now, i am learning i ought to have seen a doctor, at least five month after it happened. it's been a year and
    vote
    View Poll Results

lifes responded:
    See a doctor. You probably hurt your neck or shoulder.

jackolope56 responded:
    TOS?

lifes replied to jackolope56's response:
    Jackolope58,

Yes, indeed, an injury can cause "TOS", or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. However, both the cervical spine and shoulder need checked since injuries can overlap both areas and can produce nearly identical symptoms.

One differentiating factor in horacic Outlet Syndrome and Shoulder Impingement Syndromes is difficulty raising the arm above shoulder height, or pain results from raising the arm. Manual tests are performed, raising the arm out from the side to above the head... and frontward to above the head. Physician-aided tests (push-pull) can determine presence of muscle weakness, one indicator of dysfunction, as well as testing reflexes (at elbow, wrist). MRI can show horacic Outlet Syndrome and/or Impingement Syndrome.

Physical Therapy is often the first conservative method tried along with ice, heat, exercises, and medication.

Surgery may be indicated, especially if nerves or blood vessels are caught, e.g. Entrapment.

Only a physician or orthopedic surgeon can distinguish between the various types of cervical and shoulder injuries and syndromes.

Lifes

Spotlight: Member Stories

Born in 1990 Currently have 4 kids One child has epilepsy and development delay. Growing up I had many things wrong including ph...More

Helpful Tips

Preparing for Your Neurology Appointment - Exam Part 1
    You've waited weeks, or months, to get an appointment to see a neurologist. You're upset, nervous, maybe scared. You don't know what to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 31 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.