Skip to content

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
Fasciculations in lip from herpes?
An_253659 posted:
I went to my pcp after experiencing major lip twitching in my lower lip. Started in May, didn't notice it was a real problem until July when it started happening almost daily. It could last sometimes for hours. Usually just once a day. Often triggered by irritation to lower lip, like eating a sandwich on toast or burritto. Looked up twitching on google and saw ALS so got to dr asap. She said no ALS since she has never heard of als starting with twitching in a LIP and I have no weakness or atrophy at all. She thinks it may be related to nerve sensitivity caused by CARAC treatment (5fu) for AK on lip which erroded my lip deeply and simultaneously a herpes virus invaded. Herpes constant flares for two years before valtrex. Basically:
1. can als start w twitching in lip
2. can deep, constant herpes episodes over years cause nerve damage/sensitivity?
Dr. put me on Klonopin which she said helps a disorder called Burning Mouth Syndrom and she feels I have some sort of crossover between all my lower lip issues. btw, my tip of my tongue does tingle which she said is a sign of BMS.

Have lost all joy in life for past two months due to worry of als from googling twitching. Don't know what to do. I'd like to believe my doctor that this is a benign fasciculation but need a neurologist to tell me it's not als. Can't get into a neurologist for two months. Don't want to waste his time either. Riding this out is torture.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a PA student, graduating in December (I hope). I have a long history as a patient including six unrelated surgeries, and a couple of other hos...More

Helpful Tips

Preparing for Your Neurology Appointment - Exam Part 1
You've waited weeks, or months, to get an appointment to see a neurologist. You're upset, nervous, maybe scared. You don't know what to ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.