Skip to content

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
MRI - White Matter Hyperintensities
An_254245 posted:
Hello,
I've recently had a brain w/o Contrast MRI.

The neurologist saw the results and said it was all fine. Then I got a copy of my MRI results from the radiologist.

The radiologist report mentions the following exact words "study reveals multiple, small focal, asymmetrical T2W / FAIR hyperintensities in white matter of bilateral frontal lobe, likely non-specific bright sports or due to migraine".

I am 30 years old and never had headaches before this year. I've been under a lot of stress lately due to job changes and some other things.

The question is:
1. What does this report signify?
2. Can I reduce/eliminate these hyperintensities by medicine or lifestyle changes?

Thank you very much

lifes responded:
There are no physicians who monitor this forum.

That said, I once had a brain MRI done... my new 2nd year Resident Physician at a family clinic met with me. She became teary-eyed, reached for my hand, and in a grave tone of voice told me I had MS ! Of course, I needed to see a neurologist. In the weeks while waiting to see him, I 'steeled' myself for the worst, since MS is a debilitating condition. He entered the room, barked "You don't have MS" as if I'd tried to self-diagnose. Before he exited the room, I managed to ask, Why are there 'white spots' on the MRI?

He said every person develops some non-specific areas (spots) by their 30s-40s. They just are...not associated with an abnormality.

Of course, each person deserves their own eval with a qualified neurologist to rule out any disease/condition. To my knowledge, once nerve matter develops a 'spot' it is a non-repairable area. EXCEPT--our brains wonderfully try to 'go around' any interruption in nerve signal transmission. So even if you have a spot your brain likely already made another route around the area.

Otherwise, lifestyle changes might help your headaches. Reduce stress, caffeine, alcohol, increase rest and relaxing activities. Follow your Dr's recommendations for follow-up.

Lifes

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 59 yr oldd caucasian male who was first diagnosed with diabetes in 1990.Diabetes and it's manifestations have led to being in a nursing ho...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.