Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
numbness in left tricep to last two fingers
jackolope56 posted:
I was told was born with two extra upper ribs.What is this condition called?

lifes responded:
'supernumerary ribs'
'supernumerary'=more, extra

Supernumerary or accessory ribs (SNR), either lumbar (LR) or cervical (CR),

simply...extra ribs.

A doctor might say "congenital supernumerary ribs" but that wording is redundant (e.g. repetitive, unneeded wording) since any extra rib would be congenital, e.g. "present at birth".

See:
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/cervical rib

From a medical journal Abstract (short version of article), "SNR are also found in humans although, in contrast to laboratory species, CR are more commonly noted. SNR are associated with adverse heath effects, and CR with inducing thoracic outlet disease characterized by diminished blood flow and altered position of the ganglia and nerve roots in the area of the C7—T1 vertebrae. LR are associated with lower back pain and L4—5 degeneration. The incidence of CR is greatly reduced in adult humans as compared to fetuses, and it has been hypothesized that fetal "SNR" may be largely composed of ossification sites that disappear postnatally. The mechanisms involved in the formation of extra ribs are not understood at this time, although the fact that the early sensitive periods for their initiation during embryogenesis is coupled with the associated changes in the axial skeleton argues for their induction being due to fundamental changes in gene expression. The sum of the experimental evidence supports the idea of SNR being composed of two different structures: extra ribs that are permanent dysmorphological structures that may be induced by xenobiotics and/or maternal stress, and ossification sites that may be transient variations in the formation of the lateral processes of the vertebrae." From Article called:
"SUPERNUMERARY RIBS IN DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY BIOASSAYS AND IN HUMAN POPULATIONS:
INCIDENCE AND BIOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE."

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10937400490512447?journalCode=uteb20#.UsNLM9KGuuI

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (nerve compressed in shoulder "outlet" - a normal place where nerves and blood vessels pass through an opening between bones)... or problems at the cervical vertebra, shoulder, elbow, or wrist can produce numbness in the arm to fingers.

Lifes

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a PA student, graduating in December (I hope). I have a long history as a patient including six unrelated surgeries, and a couple of other hos...More

Helpful Tips

Preparing for Your Neurology Appointment - Exam Part 1
You've waited weeks, or months, to get an appointment to see a neurologist. You're upset, nervous, maybe scared. You don't know what to ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.