Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
REALLY scared right now...
thelightyoubring2007 posted:
On Feb. 13th, I went to the emergency room for headaches and chest pain with weird pins and needles feeling in my upper back. They did an XRay of my chest and said it was migraines(after not doing anything for my head)
I went back on the 16th because my symptoms were the same and I noticed my right pupil dialates more than the other.
I had blood work and a non contract CT of the brain done. Findings showed a sinus infection. I was prescribed Amox-Clav. After almost a week of my symptoms not changing, I went to my doctor. She did a basic neurological exam and checked my pupils. She said it the variation in pupil dialation is not out of norm and both pupils react to light. She refered me to a neurologist and told me to try Allegra in the meantime. I made an app. with the neurologist but, its not until the 18th. Its been 4 days since I saw my doctor and still no change in symptoms. Im scared to death and my anxiety is extremely high.
My symptoms:
Head pressure ranging from mild to moderate through most of the day; Seems to be moderate towards the end of day.
On and off headaches in the temple region that can be sharp and range from mild to moderate; Never seem to be in the morning or when I wake up and are usually after I have been up for a few hours and tends to be slightly sharper on the right side.
Tingling sensation in my head that kind of feels like when your foot falls asleep.
Nausea that is mild and usually peaks after I eat.
Leg weakness in both legs that is mild
Right pupil dialation; Only seems to happen in certain light; Dialation is not all the time and never in natural light.
Random upper back pain and tingling that is moderate and usually happens as I have been at work for a few hours.

I have a history of childhood epilepsy but have not had a seizure in 11 years however, I have gotten headaches since then but not for this long of a period and gave birth back in october.

lifes responded:
Dear TheLight,

Some symptoms are referred to as "constitutional", meaning they can arise for many very different reasons, are non-specific to "one" particular problem (a separate problem can explain each symptom), and luckily, these often point to a non-serious condition or conditions. Let me see if I can ease your anxiety by going through each symptom.

First, most serious symptoms do not 'come and go'. Second, most severe conditions (including cancers) do not cause mild symptoms or pain, nor do the symptoms or pain fluctuate when conditions are severe. Third, up to at least 20% of the population has unequal pupil dilation. Even when the difference is 'larger', it is 'benign', meaning unimportant, especially when it only occurs in very specific lighting conditions. Also, for some people, pupils react slower to changing light...and, like with many things it is impossible to correctly assess our own bodies. For example, doctors listen to bowel sounds with a stethoscope--but if I listened for my own bowel sounds, I would think they are absent; I wouldn't be able to hear them as well as an outsider could. These are some generalities that should reassure you.

Also, the body is divided up into "systems". Usually symptoms in one body system would not point to another body system-- unless it's one of those "constitutional" symptoms, like nausea which can come from hundreds of problems. So "weakness" in legs wouldn't fit most body systems except neuro or muscular, as one example.

So, how do Drs figure out what's wrong? How can you help figure out what's wrong? Clues are in the history you give.

However, other important info is missing in your post here. Age, current meds, whether you do or don't use any other 'drugs' or drink, medical history, family hx, are all important. I don't have all these, but can pick up some pieces from your post.

You're female of childbearing age; have you had a pregnancy test just to rule that out? Are you on birth control? Do your symptoms coincide with your periods?

You had a CAT with dye contrast which was negative (great!).

Your nausea is worse after eating-- is it after drinking milk or dairy (lactose intolerance?) or after a heavy or fatty meal (gallbladder?) or spicy foods (stomach ulcer?) Gallbladder pain radiates from ribs/chest though to the upper back. Epigastic/stomach pain or nausea points more to a stomach issue.

You have mild headaches worse at the temple-- classic of a stress headache. But sinus infection can also cause headache AND nausea. Sinus drainage goes down the back of the throat and the normal proteins that infections make then irritate the stomach. So the triad of nausea, vomiting, headache can all relate to sinus infection. A full 10-12 days later it normally improves. Tea and toast can soothe the tummy.

Headache that comes on AFTER being up/eating may relate to activity or what you're eating (or not).

Also, just an idea to check out... most moms carry infant-toddlers on one hip, which minorly "twists" the upper back and shoulders. Have you had a "pull or strain" with picking up or carrying your child? At work, are you walking, standing, or sitting most of the day? What at work might contribute to the pain beginning in your back?

Lastly, you said you feel anxious. Most moms don't get enough rest or "R&R". Can you arrange for a few hours away, go window shopping.. or even take a hot bath (steam would also help your sinuses too). After you've done something enjoyable to you, note whether your symptoms are the same, better, or worse. You might find your own solutions by just pampering yourself for a day.

I hope I've helped give you some ideas to talk to your doctor about and that you aren't as worried.

Lifes

Helpful Tips

Preparing for Your Neurology Appointment - Exam Part 1
You've waited weeks, or months, to get an appointment to see a neurologist. You're upset, nervous, maybe scared. You don't know what to ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.