Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We answer all types of Neurology/Neurological questions about the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Include your age, sex, current meds, and known diagnoses, upcoming/completed appointments, tests, or procedures. We are not physicians. We help explain medical terminology and give support.
Water bubble in brain
An_255964 posted:
My niece ( 21 ) has got water bubbles in her brain. She got operated twice but there are bubbles which could not be touched or operated. Neurologists say here that it would be like this only , she can't walk, speak properly, her right side is affected. We are all very much upset that She is mentally a sound girl, very intelligent, had scored 92% in 10th std. She wants to continue her studies. But we are in a pathetic condition that we can't send her to college.She is missing everything. We don't know what to do. Please help and guide us. What should we do? What are the ways to change her static life into a lively one? Seeing her, the parents also feel very pessimistic. Please give us some optimistic views to make be confident and curable.

lifes responded:
First, I'm very sorry to hear about your niece's condition.

The brain is paradoxically a powerful organ of self healing, yet also extremely sensitive to anything that can have a detrimental effect on it. Physicians do not yet understand the ways the brain can 'heal' to some degree. But the brain also does not fully heal itself even with the very best care.

Younger aged persons often do better than older adults after a brain injury. Water or air bubbles are often re-absorbed into the tissue, but damage may already occur before the bubbles get absorbed. Typically, the brain tries to 're-wire' itself with new nerve pathways around damaged areas. PT, OT, ST, and other Rehab is directed toward helping the brain establish new pathways for memory, motion, speech, etc. Regular rehabilitation activity will be best during recovery. However, the brain can easily 'tire' during rehab-- she will need rest periods in between scheduled rehab. This is NOT a situation to push and push, but to allow the brain to recover as much function as possible.

Set college aside for now. You/family will likely grieve over these kinds of losses, but the primary goal at this point is supporting brain healing.

One of the best ways the family can help is to think of short-times of games and other enjoyable, fun, activities that encourage thinking while having fun. The goal is NOT to finish games until someone wins, but to just play. For example, the card game "War" includes knowing whether a number is greater/less than and is a simple strategy game. Ask the therapists for game suggestions that will help her with her current level of functioning.

Music can help promote movement, in a fun way. Even the most disabled person can "dance" in bed, moving arm/s, leg/s, or even just a hand/s or 'jiggling' to the music. Singing promotes word recall (lyrics) and also increases lung expansion for a person stuck in bed.

I realize it is very difficult when a healthy person suddenly has brain deficits. But you must clearly understand her current level of functioning and know the goals of her therapies throughout rehab. She will need your support and understanding the most, but always with the hope she might slowly improve.

I'm sorry I can't guarantee a great outcome. Without knowing her specific history and current condition, I can only offer these general guidelines for you to consider. Remember to use your creativity as you join her on this new journey.

Lifes

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a PA student, graduating in December (I hope). I have a long history as a patient including six unrelated surgeries, and a couple of other hos...More

Helpful Tips

It hurts! It jerks! My body's doing something...strange...
Every person with a neurological condition or disorder started out with a symptom that hurt, jerked (tremor or worse), or that just was ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.