Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
choking and or gasping noises?
AggressivePoet posted:
Lately my son when ever he is sleeping or near sleep he suddenly gasps a couple of times during it. Or he chokes. He hasnt drunk any milk at the time of this happening either. So I dont know what is wrong with him. Are there any ideas for what is happening with him?

Jle21 responded:
sounds like a burp could be coming up and he might be choking on it. I would pick him up when he does it or tilt him to his side and rub his back. just my guess.

mmarieSki responded:
DS does this sometimes and actually did it early this morning. Its amazing how quickly I wake up and react to it. DH just sleeps right through it! I just pick him up and pat his back until he clears it out. Does it sound kind of gurgley? He's just burping up some of his last meal...may happen less if you make sure to burp him really well after a feeding.

baby73109 responded:
This has been happening with my DD also. It seems to happen mostly in the mornings - just this morning it happened so bad that I jumped up and picked her up from the bassinet. I have the mattress tilted, but it still happens. Scared the heck out of me...

My dr. actually put her on reflux meds because he said it sounds like mild reflux. I hope they start working soon.

Good luck - I know it is scary!

AggressivePoet responded:
Sorry I havent repleyed been really busy lately...well ever since baby has been born lol.

But thank you for the responses. but they dont sound gurgley they just usually happen when he is sleeping. And I have drop ins from playtex and I burp him after every meal. And he never burps only a few times. Maybe I should just tell his doctor the next check up that he has.

schm0025 responded:
Jayden does this too. It litterally sounds like he is going to stop breathing, but by the time I jump outta bed, he is ok. I asked his doctor about it and he said it is normal for new borns. They are still adjusting to things. I think that since a number of our LO do this, we shouldn't worry. But id still ask your dr, since everyine is differant

BabyMakesFive2009 responded:
My little guy does the same thing....it's almost like the startle reflex, when they jump like they are falling and their arms and legs flail a little...all of my babies did that and I never worried about it. He would gasp or make this little squeak when he took a deep breath and then settle back down. Of course if you are concerned you could ask the doctor but if that's what it sounds like your baby is doing, it is common with newborns and they outgrow it pretty quickly.

Jessica22738 responded:
that can actually be a symptom of reflux. My DS suffers from GERD and that's one of his symptoms. Are you noticing any other symptoms? Arching back and neck ? Spitting up and/or projectile vommiting? Frequent eating? Extreme fussiness?

kelstravkyn replied to Jessica22738's response:
my daughter does this as well. she alsp has fussiness, and frequent eating at times. i dont knoq if shes colic or if she just has reflux. i also noticed tummy gurgles and flatulents. my daughter scares me sometimes though it sounds like shes not getting enough air and she gasps or chokes. i am sp worried about her and her next appointment is not until her one month checkup on march 27th. any advice please that would help a lot!!

atti_editor replied to kelstravkyn's response:
Hi kelstravkyn,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis here, as other moms in this discussion have said it is possible your daughter has reflux -- here is some more information on reflux in babies, its symptoms and some things that you can do to reduce the problem. More than half of all infants under 3 months old have reflux, and the condition usually resolves itself by the time they are 1-year-old. If you don't think these symptoms match what is happening with your daughter, or if you are concerned that it is keeping her from breathing properly, you may want to call your pediatrician to see if this is something that can wait a week until your appointment, or if you should schedule something sooner.

Best wishes,
Atti

plazadental responded:
My baby was on the same condition. But the pediatrician suggested, it's very common and there is nothing to worry for it. He has done a gasping/choking thing in his sleep many times. I would just suggest you elevate his head when he sleeps so that he passes the gass easily. Do burp every time you feed him.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.