Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fetal Maternal Transfusion
inanis posted:
Hello Everyone.

I don't really ever post, but I've lurked often all the way from 1st Tri to now. I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable ladies on here and I'm hoping someone has some advice...

I had my baby girl on July 8, 2009 (7-8-9!). She was three weeks early and was delivered by emergency c-section after failing a non-stress test and then a stress test. When she was born it was found that she had been suffering from Fetal-Maternal Transfusion which, from what I can understand, means that she had been giving most of her blood to me. The doctors told me that this was happening through out the entire pregnancy. In all she gave up well over 860ml of blood. She was born with less than 1/3 of the blood a normal baby has.

The hospital where she was delivered had no idea what was wrong and after 12 hours of trying to figure it out they gave up and she was transferred to a hospital that specializes in neo-natal intensive care. She needed a full blood transfusion and luckily, after a stay in the NICU, she is at home and doing great.

The doctors at the hospital where she was delivered did not think she was going to make it. They didn't tell me this of course, but I have a close friend who is a nurse in a different department and they mentioned to her that she should call my family before trying to call me or by DBF since it didn't look good.

So, my question is....

Does anyone here know or have any experience with this type of problem? I've googled the heck out of it and all I can find is a post on a forum similar to my story with someone saying "It couldn't have been FMT because that is too rare, it must have been placental abruption" and then a paper written in 1965 on the topic that doesn't really tell me anything.

The reason I've been trying to find out more information is because we had tried to get pregnant for well over a year with no success. We were starting to get really discouraged, but I finally ended up with a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks before Thanksgiving.

I wonder now if perhaps we were successful more than we thought but the pregnancies miscarried without me knowing anything about it. There were times I was sure I was pregnant, but then I get my period 3 weeks late and it would be quite a doozy. I took HPT, but they were never positive so I never considered this until now.

When I asked the doctors if this is something that could occur again, or could have been occurring all along, they didn't really have an answer. They said it is possible, but the problem is very rare so they couldn't give me an answer either way. They did tell me that one common factor in babies with this problem is that they tend to be born in the summer. So other than not getting pregnant in October - December they had no real advice.

We want another baby in the future, but now I'm seriously concerned that this will happen again and the outcome won't go as smoothly. There are tests that can be done to see if it is happening again, but there will be nothing that can be done about it if it is.

So, basically I'm just trying to find any information I can about this problem before we decided to try again. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

If you managed to read all of this thanks! and I hope it made sense. I get confused just thinking about it!

rosalitac responded:
hi. I'm just glad that your LO is better now and back at home safe. try searching for "fetomaternal transfusion" I think you'll get more results HTH

emeraldflower responded:
Hello,
I know this post is a few years old, but is there any way you could respond to tell me what happened? My newborn daughter was just recently born via an emergency c-section and was severely anemic at the time of her birth. FMT was diagnosed in our case as well and a blood transfusion was required. Luckily, she was born full term and is now doing great. However, I have been able to find next to nothing on this condition, and no one can tell me what our chances are of this happening again with a future pregnancy. If you see this, would you be able to tell me if this became an issue for you again in your later pregnancy?

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.