Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
***PRAYERS NEEDED***
LilBlonde734 posted:
Hi ladies...

I know I should technically be posting this on 3-6 mos, but I don't feel like I "know" a lot of the moms over there like I know you so I am posting here instead. We desperately need prayers...

Some of you may remember my DD had been diagnosed with a rare form of bacterial meningitis shortly after birth (the doctors theorize she contracted it in the nursery shortly after birth but couldn't say for sure). She spent 22 days in the NICU receiving massive doses of IV antibiotics. We were told that had we not brought her to the ER as promptly as we did (she was running a 104 degree fever & had the highest level of infection in her spinal fluid they had ever seen in an infant) she wouldn't have survived the night. After 22 long days in the NICU they finally sent her home. They told us it seemed as though she might have escaped any long term consequences of the meningitis as her MRI came back fairly normal aside from some slight inflammation.

Fast forward to last night: We brought Taylor to get her portrait taken as it was her 3 month "birthday". She looked absolutely beautiful & was smiling & cooing the whole time. I was so happy. Afterwards we went home & I went to give her a bottle as it was time for her to eat. She only took about an ounce (she normally takes 6) then suddenly & violently began projectile vomiting... millk was pouring out of her nose & she started to cry. Then 5 min later out of nowhere it happened again. I KNEW something wasn't right as she NEVER vomits. My DH & I rushed her to the ER & my parents met us there. They did a CAT scan & our worst fears were confirmed.

The doctors told us that the vomiting had been due to increased intracranial pressure. The ventricles in Taylor's brain are very enlarged compared with the MRI that was done when she had meningitis. Basically the scar tissue that formed in her brain from the meningitis caused a build up of fluid to occur. They then proceeded to tell us that our baby would need to be admitted & that neurosurgery would be meeting with us this morning to discuss possible surgery to place a shunt in Taylors head to relieve the pressure on her brain.

This is a very frightening and horrific experience for us. We are absolutely terrified. I can't believe my beautiful & sweet baby is going to need brain surgery. It hasn't even sunken in yet. I feel like I'm in a nightmare I can't wake up from. This is unreal. My poor Taylor has been through so much pain & suffering in her short time on this earth. I would give. ANYTHING to trade places with her. It's just not fair & it breaks my heart into a million little pieces.

DH & I are sitting at her bedside as we speak. We are waiting on the neurosurgeons to come talk to us. She is sleeping right now & looks so angelic. All I can do is cry. I have never been so scared in my entire life. This just goes to show how life can truly change in an instant. Taylor had hit all her milestones... her head is actually on the low end of normal size (surprising due to the fluid on her brain)... She just appeared perfectly healthy on the outside. But on the inside...something was so very wrong. I am in shock. The tears won't stop flowing. Even my mom spent the night throwing up she was so upset. I'm trying to be strong for Taylor as she can sense when I am upset. After the doctors broke the news to us last night I was crying of course & Taylor was staring at me with her big blue eyes, then suddenly reached out & squeezed my fingers. It was like she was trying to tell me "it's ok mama."

I am crying too hard to even type anymore, so I will end this. Please ladies... Keep baby Taylor in your prayers. I will keep you posted.

March_mommy2be responded:
I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers, and wish for strength for little Taylor while she is going through this time. May God watch over her and angels keep her safe.

Please keep us updated.

texanil1 responded:
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I can't even imagine what you must be going thru as I know like you I would gladly trade places to prevent my LO from going thru any pain.

molly88888 responded:
Oh my gosh..you brought tears to my own eyes as well. I will pray things go well for her, and that you can stay strong for her! It truely does show us how things can change in just seconds. I am so sorry to hear this, I will be praying for all of you. I know you are so scared, but she will be fine and all better in no time..i know it's a horrific ordeal to see your child have to go through something so drastic..believe me I know. I'm praying for you guys..please keep us updated. Love to you Taylor

jcotton4 responded:
you, your family and your beautiful baby Taylor are in my heart and prayers. I pray that everything will be okay. God Bless you guys.

krp99 responded:
  • Father God, I pray that Mommy and Daddy continue to find strength through You Lord. You ultimately are in control and we pray that the team of health care professionals taking care of Taylor do everything that they can so that Mommy and Daddy can have their precious Taylor happy and healthy again. Father we pray that while even though Taylor may need surgery to insert the shunt, that it will help her to recover. Please be with this family...surround them with Your love and we pray this all in Jesus name, Amen.
  •  
    cheeezie25 responded:
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going through *****hugs******. I will definitely be praying for your little girl and your family

ssb2007 responded:
    DH and I will be praying for you, your family, and Taylor. God is going to have his hand on her during this time, and will comfort you and the rest of the family. Keep us updated.

lprice76 responded:
    You and your family are in my prayers...your post brought me to tears, I am speechless and can't even find the right words to comfort you...I am so sorry. Please keep us posted and Taylor will be in my prayers every moment until she is home and safe with her mommy and daddy. I seriously can't even find words, may god bring you and your family the strength you need to get through this tough time.

rockinmama18 responded:
    I'm so sorry to hear poor Taylor is going through so much. You and your family are in our prayers and I know God will take care of your precious baby. You have done an excellent job watching over her and making sure you get help at the littlest change and you have ultimately saved her life again. Good job mommy! Take care and keep us posted.

princessbootzz responded:
    (((HUGS)))

There are prayers going up for your daughter and your family as well. I was in tears by the time I got to the end of your post. I'm so sorry that you're all going through this. I will pray for her fast and full recovery!

Love, Katrina

JayLee051013 responded:
    I am so sorry that Taylor is having to go through this. I will be praying for you, Taylor and your family.

jsrobs1979 responded:
    I'm praying for Taylor, you, DH, and the rest of your family. She's a strong little girl - I think she was telling you that she's going to pull through this just fine, just like she did before. And she's got a great mommy to help her. I'll pray that God will give you all the strength you need in this trying time, and that she will be all better and home soon.

vetteness responded:
    i will def keep you and your family in my prayers I cant say I know what you're going thru but I had a scare not too long ago my LO had to get a CAT scan after she was in a car accident where she was rear ended on the side she was riding in I was sooooooooo scared but thankfully everything came back normal, Taylor sounds like a strong baby Im sure she'll pull through like you said shes been through so much already ! Please keep us posted, I will be praying for your family.
  • ***hugs****
  •  
    MandyMartinez83 responded:
    May God Bless you Taylor! Everything will be just fine. God is right next to her holding her hand. You are in our prayers! And you are always welcome in the 3-6 boards! God Bless You Always!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
    I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.