Skip to content
Screaming in sleep?
mandeeeee1988 posted:
Every once in a while, when Gabe is sleeping, he will start crying out of nowhere, like he got scared or hurt. It's not a normal cry; it's very loud and shrill. His normal cry is sort of a fuss that builds, but this is immediately very loud and frantic. I pick him up to console him, and he's still asleep. He won't stop freaking out until he wakes fully. It worries me, because it happens so suddenly. He will be sleeping quietly, and then all of a sudden, screaming. It's alarming. Does anyone else's LO do this? DF seems to think he's having nightmares, but I don't think he has seen anything scary enough for his mind to conjure up a bad dream. TIA.

jesabelle responded:
Me me me. My LO has done this on several occasions. I too thought maybe he had a bad dream until someone suggested that he hasn't experienced anything bad. Another friend suggested gas in his tummy. I don't know. It sure freaks me out when he does it but it has been probably two weeks since it's happened. I call them his freak outs and they are exactly as you described. I need to make a note to ask the pedi about it.

superjunkplace responded:
He's switching between stages of sleep! :sillygrin: I know what you mean though, it can be very shrill. Sometimes I'll go to her bassinette and she'll have already calmed down, so I know she's aight. :wink:

lprice76 responded:
DD has done that twice, she lets out a loud scream and then goes right back to sleep. It's kinda funny and it sounds different than any scream or cry she has. Although if it lasted as long as you say it does I would be kinda concerned. Poor LO.

witch666 responded:
Avery does this and it freaked me out the first few times. Now I just go over to her and give her a little pat and some soothing chatting and she's out again, if she's not alseep again before i get there. From the times I have woke her up seeing what was wrong, I've always noticed that her diaper was either wet or had some little poop form farts, maybe she gets mad about that, or it's just coincidence.

cntwait2bamama responded:
yes! my LO does! she started doing it when she was about a month and a half old! i'm not sure why, but she still does it occasionally.

jwick407 responded:
my dd does this as well - even this morning... not sure what the cause is but she always falls back to sleep pretty quickly...

mandeeeee1988 responded:
He does usually go right back to sleep after I pick him up. It just startles us both! If he kept crying I would be really concerned, but it sounds like the little "freak outs" are normal. Thanks ladies.

sq3ak3rs responded:
Alexis does this and it seems to be from gas. If we rub her belly or burp her, she's fine. She usually doesn't wake up when she's screaming but will keep doing it until she relieves the pressure.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.