Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
wic checks formula.....
liz81888 posted:
This might be a stupid question but.... i get WIC checks for formula and i am buying different formula could i sell the formula from the WIC checks online... or even just give someone the formula if they pay for shipping??? its nestle good start and i get 30 12 oz cans (powder)...any takers if this is not really illegal. lol

kayla_noelle responded:
You couldn't sell it, because WIC is a service funded by your state's DPH, but I don't think that it would be a problem if you wanted to give it to someone. I wouldn't go into the WIC office and tell them that you're doing that, but if you don't need it...why not.

Also, how do you get so much formula?? We only get 7 cans a month from WIC.

liz81888 responded:
its over the course of a few months... i just figure i could help someone out with formula, i wouldnt tell wic lol, but if i get it and dont use it whats the harm of letting someone else use it.

erinsmom1964 responded:
I would bet it is illegal and it should be. The taxpayers are paying to feed your child because you claim you can't afford it yourself. Yet right in your post you say you are BUYING different formula. So basically what your doing is fraud. You should be ashamed of yourself and tell WIC the truth so the money can go to people who really need it and stop making people pay to feed your child when you obviously can do it yourself.

CRod13 responded:
Why are you buying different formula than what is being given to you? I know that here if the baby is having issues with the formula they can change it for you, that way you won't have extra cans of it and actually use it up yourself. Seem's like a waste if your not using them and trying to sell them and make a profit off of it.

jessicaintexas responded:
Why are you buying formula if you applied for WIC?

allyson2233 responded:
What you are doing or considering doing is illegal and punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

eokane6098 responded:
I would say if you know someone who doesnt qualify for any assistance and is having a hard time, give them the formula. technically thats illegal, but if youre not selling it, they really cant prosecute you. is good start all they offer on the checks? bank your money and use the checks for your own child if thats the case. because, yea, you can get in a butt load of trouble for even giving it away.

hld responded:
I have the same opinion as erinsmom. It's wrong to abuse government assistance. There are lots of people working hard paying taxes for you to get that formula for your baby and you have the nerve to ask us taxpayers if you can get it and sell it so you can have the money.

liz81888 responded:
ok first of all i dont think i deserve to be attacked like this. secondly i work and pay taxes and wic checks are not just formula its other things that yes i do need. and i havnt bought the formula therefore i havnt abused any government assistance like i said they are checks. but anyways i ment well, and dont need a lecture on paying taxes i work very hard. this board is suppose to be a place where you can come for support, and i feel if i left one more discussion on here i would be judged because of this.

hld responded:
I say let it go, it was a stupid question as you said in your first post. Better just to let it go then to keep on with it. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and to express it freely. You are not going to like everyone's opinion so why ask.

liz81888 responded:
no thanks i would rather not express my feelings to people who are so quick to judge... i have been on these boards since i was 8 weeks pregnant, and honestly HLD your response was pretty brutal. im all set with seeking support from you. and this is the last of it, im done.

eliz1497 responded:
Well, I see where you?re coming from thinking people are being mean to you. However, I don?t know how you could expect anyone to actually agree with you and encourage you sell your WIC checks. I think just considering the mere fact that you mentioned that you were wondering if it was illegal followed by ?lol? indicates that you really do know that it is illegal.

I think personally it hits a nerve with me because my husband and I actually need WIC, but we do not qualify for it. We miss the cutoff by $3000 a year. They don?t consider that we have to pay $1000 a month in rent to live in a decent neighborhood, but hey that?s life I guess. I have been told by people to just go into the WIC office and tell them that my hubby and I are separated and I don?t know where he is and that they will give me WIC checks without doing any follow-up, but I refuse because that is just wrong to me. And I think that doing that is just as bad as receiving WIC checks and then selling them, sorry if that offends you.

So, our solution to this is for me to exclusively pump to offset the price of formula. I do not make enough milk to only give him breastmilk, but I make enough to only have to give him two bottles of formula a day. I would say that it is rewarding to know that my child is receiving mostly breastmilk, but to be honest with you, EP?ing is so stressful, and I can say that if we could easily afford to go all formula we would because I work fulltime and having to hook my tatas up to a pump every two hours and deal with taking supplements and drinking tea and worrying how much milk I have and secretly wishing he didn?t eat so much so I could keep up with his demands is really straining on me.

Anyway, I kind of got off topic here, but what I am trying to say is that I understand that you work hard, but also understand that we do too, and a lot of us are not receiving the extra help that you are and we have to make up for that in one way or another. So, if you don?t want your feelings to get hurt, it is probably a good idea not advertise the fact that you are taking advantage of the assistance that a lot of kind of need? JMO

erinsmom1964 responded:
You may very well work hard and pay taxes but I would BET money you get all your taxes and even more back if you are eligible for WIC. And it is silly to think that being suportive means patting you on the back when what your doing is illegal and immoral. Its not quick to judge it is my response to a question posted on a public forum. You said you BOUGHT other formula. I checked your other posts before answering. I have never had WIC but I know enough to know that you get checks for very specific items. We weren't the ones who came on a public forum offering to sell formula we got from defrauding the goverment to make extra money. You may be eligable but it is FRAUD to take those checks and do anything except what your instructed to do with them period. And if your not using them because you can afford to feed your child yourself then you shouldn't be taking that money. Federal programs are not free money and as it is our governments run in the red to pay for these programs. Will you giving it back or taking care of your own child yourself instead expecting the goverment to help do it balance the budget. NO But if more people took responsibility for themselves and there own children and only used these programs if truly needed it would go along way to help.

If you don't want to hear honest opinions hon and different perspectives and if you are so fragile that it drives you to get so upset maybe you shouldn't post those type of questions.

BTW I think its highly supportive to point out to you you could be saddled with a felony or even do time in jail away from your precious LO if you follow through. Not to mention owing all the help you have gotten back to the goverment. How is that not supportive?

Jen__ responded:
That is both illegal and immoral. People's tax money allowed you to get that formula and I don't think you should take advantage of that. If you're not using the formula, you shouldn't be getting it. Talk to the WIC office about changing it or quit getting it. Too many people abusing the system has played a huge part in our country's economic situation. 100% illegal and immoral.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.