Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LO sleeps with mouth open
CRod13 posted:
Is this normal, My little one normally sleeps with her mouth open, after she falls asleep she spits out her paci and I can hear her heavy breathing (she is right next to me in her basionett). I try and get any gunk out of her nose and mouth after feedings also so she wont be nasal, or congested. Do you think that by her sleeping this way it's a risk for sids? Should I get a humidifier? Not sure how they work, I just want her to be able and sleep well at night.

eokane6098 responded:
lots of kids sleep with their mouths open. its no less safe than you sleeping with your mouth open. if she is doing it because she is congested, get a humidifier. if not, enjoy how cute it is!

jessicaintexas responded:
My lil guy will sleep with his mouth open sometimes too. His paci falls out, and he'll smile in his sleep occasionally. Heavy breathing may just be that your LO is in deep sleep.

Larich_408 responded:
does she seem sick? Unfortunately everyone in my family was sick and DD seemed to have gotten it. she is congested with a slightly runny nose and she started sleeping with her mouth open because of it. what we did is put a pillow under the mattress pad in the bassinet so she sleeps on an incline. it has seemed to help a lot. a humidifier would be good idea.. as well as vicks vaporub.

CRod13 responded:
She isn't coughing, but yes she does seem congested and her nose is only very, little runny she does have alot of boogies that I have a hard time getting out. How do I use the Vicks on her she is only a month old, and I'm definatly getting a humidifier, don't know how to use it but I'm sure it comes with instructions lol, is that just basically warm steam?? :frown: :confused: I don't know If I should call her doc, it doesn't seem bad, just seems worse at night.

eokane6098 responded:
cold steam is best, most of them are cold steam anyway.

Jen__ responded:
There was a response on here that included using vicks vaporub. That is not recommended for children under the age of 2. Recent studies have shown that under age 2 it can cause more harm than good.

dwaw02 responded:
Lurking... Lots of newborns are congested for the first few weeks...my DS sure was! You can use some of those saline nasal drops (the kind w/o any medication in them, and then suction her nose - she will hate it but it should work...just don't do it too much or her nose will bleed and probably get more stuffy. Learned that the hard way! I would also purchase a COOL MIST humidifier..they sell them at any major store...just a note of experience here...I would get one that doesn't need filter replacement...I know they have one at Walmart for @ $40. If you do decide to get one that uses filters I would go ahead and get several filters when you purchase the humidifier. Then I would set it up and sleep with the bedroom door shut - it always helps my DS alot. When you place the humidifier I would place it pretty close to the crib/bassinet.

CRod13 responded:
Thanks, I went to Target and bought the cool mist one, it actually looks like a frog, hopefully it works, going to try it out tonight, I also bought the saline spray and used it once on her already! I hope all of this works on my LO! :smile:

epittman responded:
My LO does the same thing--I think he gets it from me because DH says I sleep with my mouth wide open every night :smile: I agree w/previous posts about the humidifier, if there's congestion there. My LO is also a heavy breather, but he doesn't sleep in our room so I don't notice it at night. Guess it's okay!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.