Skip to content
3 week New born
amber726 posted:
I know i'm filling this discussion bored up but I haven't had any new moms to talk to. At 3 weeks what activities can you do with your child to help them with eye sights and to help them get on track normally. I don't know when they can start seeing things where there interested in them. I know his hearing is good as when I talk to him he stops crying but what can i do to make sure he can see. I don't really know how to word my question but hopefully someone will understand what i am trying to ask

Sweetpeaisme responded:
My newborn has been interested in TV. So I might change the channel to a learning channel for kids one of these days. Its not her age group but it has lots of bright colors. Her PED told me that they can see up to 15ft away. Nothing much you can do to see if his eyesight is ok

anikajoy replied to Sweetpeaisme's response:
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO television before age 2...

scperdomo replied to anikajoy's response:
If there is a television in the house, it is virtually impossible for a child to NOT see.

As a SAHM, I certainly don't plop my kid in front of the tv, but when I'm doing classwork (I take online classes) and he's playing on the floor, I have the tv on, sometimes I have it on stuff that I want to watch and sometimes I will put it on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or Little Einsteins (he likes the music). Usually the only times he looks is when music/singing comes on, but in all honesty, it's not gonna damage a kid if they see a little bit of television before they are 2 and IMO, not letting them see any at all might create some kind of television explosion when they turn 2... they will be enamored with this box that has sound and pretty pictures, lol.

To the OP, just play with them, interact, make faces. At that age, they can see up to 12 inches away, so when you are feeding, talking to them and making faces is perfect, I've read they love staring into your eyes. My DS was always staring at me when I fed him. Best wishes.

Larich_408 replied to scperdomo's response:
like the PP said, babies love faces and eyes. So talking to her and singing to her is a great place to start. Show her toys. At 3 weeks old she won't understand that she can grab the toys so you can hold her arms out and have her touch or grasp the toy. Babies also love black and white stimulation. Google "infant stimulation" and you should find cards that you can print off of your computer. When my son was a baby he loved those black and white cards! My DD is also content with watching the mobile on her swing or even the ceiling fan. IMO it seems weird to turn on the tv PURPOSELY for your newborn lol but last night my son was watching a kidsongs dvd and my 5 week old DD was staring at the tv with the biggest eyes, like she was in total amazement lol. it was cute. And i also don't see anything wrong with letting a child before 2 watch tv as long as it's in moderation and they do a variety of other things and stay active. but that's getting on a complete different subject.......... ;)

Queenjen87 replied to Larich_408's response:
You can do tummy time on your chest, sing songs, wave their arms gently, and move their legs in small circles like they are riding a bike.

All these actities are wonderful for developing your LO's mind and body. HTH

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.