Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gas and the pacifier
GigiAndIon posted:
So, we have a thirty-one day old baby. We've been giving him a pacifier his whole life, and he's been gassy -- he's breast-fed. He seems to suck in a lot of air when sucking on the binky, and we were wondering if this can be contributing to the gas. We further wonder that, if so, what we could do about it.

newlittlegirl responded:
With my little girl we had the same problem and ask her doctor about it he said that if she was not burped will that the air would have to come out the other end. She was a hard baby to burp so we could never get all the air out. What he told us to use to help with gripe water. It help out with the gas problem. We were told to give it to her before each feeding. She is 12 weeks old now and no longer needing the gripe water and burps much easier now. hope this helps you out.

gabster_25 responded:
My DD is 9 weeks old and would get gas really bad and she spits up a lot mostly from swallowing too much air. I could never get her to burp the first few weeks. I felt so bad cause I knew what was wrong but couldn't do anything. I continued trying to get her to burp and now shes a champ at it. She still gets gassy but not as bad.

RockabettyMomma responded:
I had learned that breastfed babies tended to be less gassy and spit up much less than formula fed babies. Well, my month old daughter seems to be an exception. She is extremely gassy from both ends and spits up quite frequently. When I asked her Doc about it, I was told burping is very important but some babies are just more gassy than others. It also depends on the Mother's diet, which directly affects the breast milk and therefore what the baby is taking in. I was told to kind of chart what I eat and how gassy/fussy my daughter was about a day after what was eaten. So far, sodas, Diet or otherwise, tend to make her a bit more fussy. And when I mentioned the spit up (and slightly chunky projectile vomit once or twice), the Doc said that, again, it might be related to what the mother is eating or the baby could be over eating. Of course, I totally forgot to ask about how to prevent/other signs of over eating.

With the binky,maybe try to see if different shapes are sucked on differently. Perhaps the hospital binky seems to allow more air in as opposed to the slant shaped store bought ones?

cjl0510 replied to RockabettyMomma's response:
My baby is now 3 months old. He is breastfed, and I could literally HEAR him swallowing a TON of air whenever he ate! It took us longer to burp him then it did to feed him. I called La Leche people, talked to the pediatrician.. everyone and no one could help me figure out why he swallowed so much air. Someone mentioned it must be a bad habit he picked up in utero. But anyway, now he is a completely different baby. I don't know if he just tolerates air a little better than before, or if he has gotten that much better at eating. He still burps a ton, but it is now easier to get out. So maybe it is something that may take awhile before it improves. Hopefully by the time he is at least 2 1/2 months! good luck!

GigiAndIon responded:
Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.