Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low Supply
help1977 posted:
I have been BF my daughter for 7 weeks now. It seems like my supply is going down. I have to supplement with formula 1-2 times a day now just to make her happy. I have been eatting oatmeal everyday for breakfast, but I don't know what else to do to get it back up. Does the fact that she sleeps through the night now have an effect on that? I could go 8-10 hours without nursing her at night. Please any advice would be great. I don't want to stop just yet.

j9ween2 responded:
I would stop giving formula or at least pump during that time. BFing is all about supply & demand. You need to pump more or BF more to get your supply up. I think there are some vitamins you can take - mother's milk & fenugreek. I think you can get them at like GNC.

help1977 replied to j9ween2's response:
I try to pump and only get a little over an oz. She only gets the formula after I have nursed her. I am going to look for those vitamins. Thanks

ukbluegirl02 replied to help1977's response:
You need to keep pumping 10-15 mins AFTER the milk stops. This will make your body think it needs to produce more. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water. I got dehydrated once, that was NO fun!

tothebeach4 replied to help1977's response:
Hi! I've been drinking the mother's milk herbal tea for a few weeks and it's been helpful to keep my lactation going. I haven't noticed a huge increase, but I am able to pump a little more milk than I used to while I'm at work. What I've learned over the last few months is that however much milk you're pumping is not an indication of the amount of milk you're actually producing, so try not to measure by that. Also, the more stressed you are about producing milk, the less likely you are to have a good let down, so try to relax. If your daughter doesn't seem quite as satisfied when you're nursing her or if she's getting hungry sooner than usual after you've nursed, just keep nursing her. The more often you nurse, the higher your supply will get.

I hope this helps... I understand how stressful breastfeeding can get, but just know you're doing the best you can for your baby and whatever happens, happens :)

Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.